Changing Brake Discs

OK ... finally weather allowed me to do this job ....

Had a loan of a code reader so retracted the EPB fine.
Armed with M7 allen socket, calliper pins came out OK, calliper removed and old pads out ....
Then the failure .... the M12 'Triple square XZN' bolts ..

I bought a set of 'Triple square XZN' sockets: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086WKD65Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but the M12 is simply far too loose .... fully inserted you can give almost a 1/4 turn, only tips seem to be engagging, it will round out the bolts.
The set comes with M12 standard and a M12 long reach - and both the same ... far too loose.

This video shows how loose ... and as posters have said these are fitted with high torque they would round out
That is a brand new bolt - all 4 are the same.

This is even on the replacement 'new' bolts ...... so it looks like they are not M12 sockets... even though the thread measures as M12.
Reassembled for today .... may take bolts to a tools shop tomorrow to see if they have something that fits it ...... but the 2 x new M12 sockets I have are certainly too loose a fit.

Does anybody know if this is a 'VAG' specific tool ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pretty sure these are 14mm spline and you must use the 1/2" drive extension.
Laser tools do them, as do Halfords but please pay more for a quality bit....it'll end in tears if they round out!
John :)

They don’t measure as 14mm …. on new bolt ... its 13.5 Maybe that is tolerance for a 14mm

Last edited:
Either way, I'd head to Halfords or whatever and get a hold of the correct spline bit....sorry I'm not at home just now so I can't report on what's written on mine.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
:whistle:

3631D5B8-1470-42C5-9D90-6D7FCE47FDAF.jpeg

Those bits you list should be fine.....I don't use an impact wrench on these though but I do heat them up first.
You can sometimes wriggle the disc out if you slacken the centre hub nut if you get stuck......but not the SEAT type with the splined bolt.

The heat softens the locking compound that's on the screw threads and may help with the rust that's kicking around. I use my Mapp gas torch and get the threaded area nicely hot.
Believe me, the affect is significant!
Keep heat away from any rubber, cables and ABS sensors of course.

Smoking the seals not a good idea :)

The M14 Triple Square XZN socket bit ordered - so when I have that I will also apply some heat.

Last edited:
I had placed an order for the set just before I saw your post .. my fault set only goes to M14 I had incorrectly based it on the bolts being M12 thread diameter.
Now ordered an M14 XZN spline socket ..... have to do job next weekend (weather permitting)

Sponsored Links
Back