Changing Brake Discs

Sponsored Links
Have you got a piston retractor tool Rick? They turn in clockwise and the proper retractor makes the job so much easier.
John :)
Didn’t need one …. Retracted EPB … then just pushed piston back by leveringbthe gap between pads & disc, moved back easily.

Just the job, a retractor tool is only required for the mechanical handbrake system.
Did you manage to shift the bracket bolts?

Just the job, a retractor tool is only required for the mechanical handbrake system.
Did you manage to shift the bracket bolts?
Done first side this afternoon …. Took some time to get out the upper carrier frame bolt … there is little room there.
Job done OK … other side tomorrow morning.

Sponsored Links
Done first side this afternoon …. Took some time to get out the upper carrier frame bolt … there is little room there.
Job done OK … other side tomorrow morning.
On mine, I removed the bottom shock absorber mounting bolt and moved the shock out of the way to be able to get on the carrier bolt easier.

I jacked it up by a 6” block on top of my trolley Jack … so wheel was about 10” off floor before removing.
I have a 1/2” nice long breaker bar, but could not get car high enough to use.
Shorter bar just harder work.
2nd side should be easier tomorrow.

The pads were well worn…. Here is old alongside new

5CD599E7-02EC-4996-9AE4-ED2CFEED9C8A.jpeg

Last edited:
Worth doing then, and you have all that knowledge for next time. Just dont do what my mate did 30 years ago. Having changed his brakes he drove full pelt at a wall to try them out! Demolished the wall and wrote off the car :eek:

Worth doing then, and you have all that knowledge for next time. Just dont do what my mate did 30 years ago. Having changed his brakes he drove full pelt at a wall to try them out! Demolished the wall and wrote off the car :eek:
Many years ago, my dad use to work in a Reliant garage. Always the butt of many jokes, the humble 3 wheelers were given a fair bit of stick - even by the mechanics who worked there. One of their favourites, was the competition to see who could get the longest wheelspin down the workshop, from a 3 wheeler. One mechanic picked up the next car out of the car park, got it to the edge of the workshop floor, revved it until the valves started to bounce and dumped the clutch...

...as it streaked down the workshop, the mechanic spotted the job card, taped to the steering wheel....

...which said "no brakes"...

...it didn't end well...

Sponsored Links
Back