alleged elec in wednesdays "sun" 19th march

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bloke in the picture is shown working on a board using what looks like a uninsulated screwdriver.
With what appears to be another red one in his pocket.

I know the board is dead as there is no main switch
and looks like some sort of test rig

But I think showing this sets a bad example
I know when training money is tight but
Does any one use uninsulated screwdrivers for electrical work.
:?:

Sponsored Links
Insulated screwdrivers aren't a requirement as we wouldn't dream of working on or near live equipment, would we?
Section 14 EAWR ;)

BTW, the only non insulated screwdriver I own is a terminal which is used for locating joists (to avoid) when installing downlights :)

Sponsored Links
Does any one use uninsulated screwdrivers for electrical work.
I use my big one
BigScrewdriver.jpg

would not be without me orange insulation....

but then again the 5Kv gloves are good as well......

and the rubber boots

flame retardent overalls

nomex jacket

hard hat with built in face guard.

J

well it is blu has two arms .......

weighs about two tons..

has lots of pockets.....

:idea:

stay away from fires and we wont need one

but jointers use gas.... and flames.....

If the electrician has done all the checks and safety procedures beforehand he should do before attempting working on a circuit then there isnt really any need for insulated screwdrivers these days.
Or are we saying the "electrician" may work on live gear?
Naughty Naughty!

If the electrician has done all the checks and safety procedures beforehand he should do before attempting working on a circuit then there isnt really any need for insulated screwdrivers these days.
how can you check that someone hasn't borrowed a neutral from your circuit to use for a light on a totally unrelated circuit that is currently turned off such that as soon as the relavent light switch is turned on your neutral becomes live?

how can you be absoloutely sure what circuit a cable you can't see the ends of is on unit you cut it?

If there are multiple people working and you have to turn a circuit back on before all work is completed (say to power a tool) how can you be sure there is noone working on that circuit (yes you can ask people what circuit they are working on but they may have made a mistake)

how can you check that someone hasn't borrowed a neutral from your circuit to use for a light on a totally unrelated circuit that is currently turned off such that as soon as the relavent light switch is turned on your neutral becomes live?
I can see how a borrowed neutral can be an unexpectedly energised neutral, but "become live"?
Without some other fault? I don't see how.

It doesn't come live as such, but can rise to the same potential as a phase conductor, and can still deliver a fatal current, without a fault.

If the neutral goes open circuit, power will flow down the live wire, through the filament of the lightbulb, and down the neutral wire. As there is no return path for the electric, the neutral will sit at 230V to earth.

The current it can deliver is limited by the resistance of the load, but it is still enough to kill someone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back