allen key size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to change a burst radiator for a friend, but found I did not have the correct size of allen key to remove one of the radiator tails. the biggest I have is 12mm, which was just too small. Can anyone tell me if the standard size for these is 13mm or is it 1/2"?

Sponsored Links
p1094520_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11467/Hand-Tools/Plumbing-Tools/Radiator-Tools/Radiator-Spanner :D

without knowing the size of that one it looks exactly like the one I tried to use (it was bought a few months ago for another job, and was sold as a radiator key), but was just too small, it started to catch the fitting but when I put any pressure on it, it just slipped inside the fitting.
The hole was just hexagonal, I didn't see any additional markings where slots might engage

Sponsored Links
Some tails can indeed be an odd (larger) size. If you've got a selection of allen keys (or similar) you can usually wedge one in along side your radiator spanner key. This is of course bad use of tools under normal circumstances however given the limited torque required in this scenario it works without issue.

Mathew

or a properly positioned flat screwdriver along side the allan key, as others have said minimal force required to loosen/tighten so it will prob work

I second the Allen key and screwdriver method. Just removed mine with a 12mm Allen key and hammered a screwdriver down the side of it.

Fit a radiator valve onto the tail tighten fully then keep tightening and the whole lot will come out "Simples"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back