Alpha CB24 Diverter Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have a problem with an Alpha CB24...

Boiler is leaking a lot at the DHW demand switch whenever I pressurize the system. Taken the diverter valve and valve assembly apart but can't see anything obvious. The diaphram looks worn but not torn or anything, however this boiler has always lost pressure over time but now it's much worse.

I think it needs a new diverter valve but can you get just the diaphram for this type of boiler? Don't see any need to replace the entire casing or the valve assembly as it appears that only the diaphram is failing?

Oh also one point of note is that when I took the valve assembly that connects directly to the diaphram part, I'm not sure if I have put everything back in the correct order... I think from the DHW end it goes; Spacer, grommit, valve, Grommit, valve, with both valves facing opposite eachother if that makes sense lol.

Any ideas welcome!

Thx!

Sponsored Links
Ahhh I think it might be the gland seal. How do you get the gland seal out though?

Welcome to the wonderful world of leaky Alphas. Forget the diaphragm and go for a new seal kit and diverter, then watch in panic as the pump section starts to leak followed by the plate 2 plate, followed by the etc etc :evil:

lol - Yeah leaky gland seal where the orifice is now too large for the metal pin allowing water to flow through. Temporarily fixed with...... Clingfilm. Am I the first person to fix a boiler using clingfilm? :D

That said how do I replace a dodgy gland seal? It has a kind of O ring around it with 2 notches in it opposite eachother in the style of a standard flat screw head without the middle bit. Do I need a special tool to get it out?

Anyone know where I can get a little plastic gland seal worth 50p as opposed to a whole new diverter valve @ £120?? Not to mention the fact that the £120 part I don't need is not in stock anywhere round here either.

Clingfilms not cheap you know...

Sponsored Links
Unless it was my own boiler, then I just replace the whole unit as I cannot risk the customer calling me to say something is leaking again.

A lot of skill and some luck is needed to successfully replace all the little bits and its more cost effective to pay for a new unit than to pay me to fiddle!

I can then give a full years guarantee on my repair and walk away confident that I have done a good job.

Tony

Thanks all,

Guess I will just have to wait until the part comes in then. At least the clingfilm seems to be holding out lol

Part still not turned up yet... Don't really want to wait any longer. Does anyone know the part number for the seal kit that would contain said Gland seal? It's the white one that allows the metal valve shaft to move through it. I can picture it just need to get the right kit!

As far as I can see it's one of these;

Diverter/DHW flow valve parts kit 3.01 ALPHA CB24
ALPHA CB24
Product Code: 3.013391

DHW flow valve parts kit - 3.01 ALPHA CB24
ALPHA CB24
Product Code: 3.013163

SEAL KIT Water complete 3.01 ALPHA CB24
ALPHA CB24
Product Code: 3.013386

Thx!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back