Alpha diverter valve

Sponsored Links
The circular diaphragm unit is held onto the rear diverter section with two small screws. The front and rear sections are completely seperate. At rest the pin in the diaphragm section extends back into the diverter section forcing the diverter into heating "mode". When the hot tap is opened the pin should move forwards and operate the switch at the front. This same pin also retracts from the diverter section allowing water flow around the plate heat exchanger at the rear.

The problem appears to be with the pin not extending forwards.

There is either a fault with the new diaphragm unit (unlikely), the two small tubes are blocked in some way or the water filter/flow restrictor in the right hand brass manifold are blocked/faulty. Should be dead simple to fault find.

Sponsored Links
Unless the pin sticking out the rear of the front section is somehow jamming in the rear section the problem should be nothing to do with the diverter.

but if the pin is stuck tight would it hold against the diff pressure of the flow switch

I only say it cos I have had it, not on an alpha though but a jaguar

The normal failure is for the pin in the rear diverter section not to move fully forward under its own internal spring pressure (as the front section pin moves forward with DHW demand). Primary water is then still fed to the rads.

The OP says the pin on the front section doesn't move, now assuming the diaphragm section is ok (its new) it must be a lack of differential pressure caused by blocked control tubes or water filter section. Of couse it may have been refurbed and the internal parts are assembled wrongly :LOL:

Gasguru said:
The normal failure is for the pin in the rear diverter section not to move fully forward under its own internal spring pressure (as the front section pin moves forward with DHW demand). Primary water is then still fed to the rads.

The OP says the pin on the front section doesn't move, now assuming the diaphragm section is ok (its new) it must be a lack of differential pressure caused by blocked control tubes or water filter section. Of couse it may have been refurbed and the internal parts are assembled wrongly :LOL:

I am not disagreeing but am a learning stuff

I love this site its great to have a CIVILISED chat wth other pros about stuff without any poo

:)

I could have rumage in the garage for a diverter valve I pulled out the other week and post a few pics but I just got back from the local boiler spares merchant (for a few beers) and after a few more the stairs are looking iffy. Don't want to push my luck. I fell out the van yesterday and neally busted my ankle on the tool tray. Last week I stumbled down several steps (the pebble-dashed wall saved me although my arm got a dose of road rash :( )

I find the service kits for this particular DV work very well. We strip the whole thing clean and polish the internals of the brass body, the service kits provide you with all of the parts that are not the brass body in itself, so at the end of the process you have a brand new DV. It takes an hour from opening the boiler to showing the customer piping hot water.

To my mind the reassembly has been done wrong.

fair point paul

I would still just replace it though, just my opinion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back