Alpha diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've just had the hot water diaphram replaced on my alpha boiler but the problem (of the hot water not firing up) is still there. Also, the heating comes on when I manually press the micro switch. The plumber came today, replaced the diaphram but said the whole DV needs replacing.

He says the diaphram was £110 ish ( wife checked his invoice from supplier). Does this seem reasonable?

Do Diverter valves come with Diaphrams anyway? Or can you just get the rest of the kit without get one? This is all very confusing!!

Thanks, any advice appreciated.
Simon

Sponsored Links
edit... what exactly happens when you turn the hot tap on? The diverter may just need a service kit but i dont think it would solve the flow switch fault as it works independantly.

Was the gland nut at the front of the flow switch changed?

You say heating comes on when you press microswitch.

Do you mean when you press microswitch on the front (which is the hot water one) the boiler fires? If so, your plumber has done a poor job of fitting the DHW diaphragm. I am surprised he is stupid enough to pay £110 for a diaphragm, can't be much of a repair man paying those prices.

Sponsored Links
Just the diapghragm and sealing gland kit is about £15.00. This is not the circular brass lump at the front just to parts to re-condition.

The refurb kit for the rear section is about £30 although a few other seals are required. The complete diverter is very expensive from Alpha but the Potterton Performa equivalent is cheaper and AFAIK it fits. Fleabay had an Alpha diverter a few weeks ago - don't think it sold. Normally the auto air vent would be replaced at the same time but these are dirt cheap.

I can't see how the diaphragm alone could be £110. Refurb kit + 15 minutes work plus the mandatory safety checks.

The heating will come on if you manually press the DHW switch. When the hot water tap is opened differential pressure on the diaphragm in the front section will impart force on the rear diverter section.

What is the actual problem? If the rear section is siezed you will find the flow pipe and radiators heat up when the hot tap is opened and the hot water temperature is poor.

Hi Paul

Yes, it fires if I press it manually but both heating and HW come on, although it takes ages to warm up.

It looks as though it's fitted fine.

Thanks Gasguru

Something tells me this plumber (recommended) does not know a great deal about alphas.

The original problem was loss of HW. Boiler did not fire when taps were turned on. Since I started pressing it manually the heating comes on and HW does too, but takes ages to warm up.

He's now fitted the diaphram but the problems still exist. He has advised us the whole DV needs replacing.

Not really sure how to pursue this.

simongooner1 said:
by the way the circular brass lump has been replaced.

should it have been???

I for one usually replace the whole diverter, this is because I used to get so many call backs on diaphragm changes (arms worn etc) that I thought balls to that.

job done, call backs gone

Why did you pay him if the boilers not working - you allow these cowboys to perpetuate :rolleyes:

Gasguru said:
Why did you pay him if the boilers not working - you allow these cowboys to perpetuate :rolleyes:

Have to agree with that, did they not come back?

CORRECTION

Firstly, I've not paid him. He is genuine, perhaps not the best at sorting alphas. He's been round a few times now and not charged a penny. He is CORGI registered.

I've just tried the HW again manually pressing the switch and the water warms up straight away and the heating DID not come on. So, it seems the only issue is the pin coming out when the HW comes on and presses on the switch.

What could this mean???

Thank you all for your advice so far

Would check the diaphragm in the flow switch if it didnt solve it even if it is meant to be new

simongooner1 said:
CORRECTION

Firstly, I've not paid him. He is genuine, perhaps not the best at sorting alphas. He's been round a few times now and not charged a penny. He is CORGI registered.

I've just tried the HW again manually pressing the switch and the water warms up straight away and the heating DID not come on. So, it seems the only issue is the pin coming out when the HW comes on and presses on the switch.

What could this mean???

Thank you all for your advice so far

I thought with these you could not seperate the dv from the flow swtich??

if you can and he did replace the flow switch or only the diahrams then he is right change the DV

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back