Altering victorian Architrave- Please Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So I just agreed to buy a reclaimed but done up door for my victorian terrace vestibule (so internal door). The vestibule fitting needs to be 81 cm approximately.

My problem is the door is too wide 89.5 and my joiner really does not want to have to take off any of the door.

He has suggested altering the architrave frame from inside the door (reducing it) as a way of fitting the door but cannot swear by it as not routinely done.

I really want the door as its a rare find already costing a lot to be honest (think 4 hundred). He is thinking it would cost 150 to alter architrave and hang door

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
I think that your joiner is right not to want to take off 7.5 cm (3 in) in the width. That much reduction would look really obvious and might also compromise the mortise and tenon joints holding it all together.

Without seeing a photo I'm not sure what you are saying that he suggested, but I suspect that he may be looking to remove the architraves and reset the door casing to give you the extra width you need, assuming that the masonry opening (if any) will permit this. Doing that might result in you having to patch or replace the head of the casing (or possibly just the stop lath) as well as having to come up with a solution to having two architrave heads which would then be too short (and need replacing). Or have I got the wrong end of the stick, here? I've done something like this a couple of times on refurb jobs and it is doable, if a bit of a faff. What I wouldn't want to do is patch two lengths of architrave to make up a single head if at all possible - the joints are always noticeable IMHO

A less invasive alternative would be to remove the architrave and build a new frame 'around' the existing one, on the surface of the wall. Add a pelmet and some really fancy architrave to make it look like a cool Victorian ornate feature, rather than a weird bodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back