Alternative to cable clips...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to run my coaxial cables along the side of my house, and I'm using cable clips (like the ones shown in pic) but they're doing my head in! They won't nail into the wall. The nail keeps bending and they're just too fidgity. Is there anything else I can use?
Circle_Cable_Clips_Round_Cable_Clips_.jpg

Sponsored Links
i can not see picture.

you could always use trunking or more clips, try the brick, or where the brick meets the mortar

you can get stick on cable clips but they are designed for indoors so i dunno how long they would last outside

i guess your walls are made of something very hard like engineering brick

i can see the picture now, stick on clips do not stick to brick, try my suggestions

Sponsored Links
Wow thanks for the quick replys.

I'm actually trying to nail them in along the bottom of the house, just underneath the rendering angle stop bead. You know what I mean? That way you wouldn't be able to see it. I tried to nail in the bricks but that didn't work, then I tried to nail upwards (just underneath the stop bead) and that also didn't work.

Trunking is a good idea but how am I gonna stick the trunking to the wall?

Nailing into mortar works for me. The bricks on our house take an eternity to drill through even with a hammer drill, so nailing into them is a definite no no. You have to hit the nail hard, not tapping it, firm blows, or the nail will bend.

Alternatively, drill holes for the nails, fill the hole with dowel or wall plug (suitably sized so as to grip the nail hard) and hammer into that!

I think trunking is the answer. I'll just buy one piece of trunking and cut it up into a dozen pieces, and attach them every 2 feet or so and then feed the cable through them. Its not like you're gonna see them cuz they'll be hidden underneath the stop bead.

Thanks breezer, good thinking.

You can get nail plugs for cable clips - just like wall plugs!

Honestly, you can...people always dis-beleive me!

I will try to find a link!

Thats the puppies. Wouldn't I use them all that much, but great to have in the van!

there is a definite knack to using ordinary cable clip pins into brickwork but it is possible with practice and can achieve a very good fixing if done properly.

Lectrician said:
But even the best of fail on certain bricks or concrete!
yep harder bricks and concrete definitely no no

ennell said:
Are these the "pin plugs" you mean, lectrician ?

http://www.towerman.co.uk/pdf/fixings/hammerfix.pdf
Interestingly on the page you quote above are "Trunking Fixing Plugs" - I've never seen these before, and I have a job to do where they would be ideal. TLC and Screwfix don't have them, and my local supplier (ECS) looked at me as if I was a bit daft when I asked. Does anyone know where I could get some?

Cheers,

Howard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back