Am I OK to skip the backbox, just use plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I took down the shaving light in my bathroom as I want to replace it with a newer model. I was quite surprised to find a sizeable hole behind the lamp. I guess I expected some kind of back box. In my bathroom the wire emerges from behind some kind of metal sheet, then runs free in the hole.

View media item 49523
Is it safe to just fill this hole with plaster and let the cable emerge trough it?

The plaster layer is less than 20 mm so I cannot really fit a back box.

If I understand this thread correctly it would be OK to do so.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18860

I intend to use this light:
http://www.keslighting.co.uk/Bathroom-Lighting/Astro-Palermo-600-Switched-Bathroom-Wall-Light-0781

Sponsored Links
Yes, as long as the light fitting will be in-line with the cable.

You are fine to plaster the hole up.

Try to gently pull the cable up a bit so that the outer sheath of the acble comes out of the wall. You should plaster up to this, not the actual inner cores of the cable.

Hoipefully there should be a little bit of slack on the cable. Be careful to make sure the cable doesn't get damaged by the edge of the metal capping.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Yes, I've got a bit to go on length-wise so will plaster around it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back