AM I supposed to just pull these off?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to check if a fuse has tripped, never seen anyhting like this before. Thanks!
IMG_20220803_150405.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes you pull them out a a bit of fuse wire goes across the connector - but switch OFF first
different colours are usually different fuse wire rating

it's a fuse. It doesn't trip, it blows (melts)

buy a card of fusewire from an old fashioned hardware or electrical shop. You will need (get) 5A, 15A and 30A

your yellow holder is for 20A. Not sure that will be included. What's it for? Storage heater?
the white dots are 5A for lighting; the blue is 15A usually an immersion heater; the red are 30A usually for sockets or a cooker; though you seem to have a lot.
look for the makers name "Wylex" on them, if so you can buy a few spares that will be convenient ib future. you need a small flat screwdriver to change the fusewire.

you MUST turn off the main switch before removing or replacing a fuse, as there may be a flash that will startle you and erode the contacts

you pull out the holder by gripping the projecting lips at top and bottom of each. Inspect it with a torch or in good light to see if it has blown; if there is any other damage; and to check that some numbskull has not mended it with something wrong.

yours looks like a Wylex Standard (or a rebranded copy)

you will probably find the receptacles that the fuseholders plug into are coloured, to prevent you plugging in the wrong one.

Was it a white lighting fuse that blew? and was it at the same time that a lightbulb failed? was it a spotlight?

Sponsored Links
yours are not marked.

look out for a Stabilo (Swan) write-for-all marker, and a roll of white vinyl tape*, and you can make some very durable and clear labels. You will do a neater job if you stick it on a flat, clean shiny surface such as a wortop or mirror, then stick it to the CU above the fuseholders.

You can take out the fuses one at a time to identify what each supplies.

*sometimes incorrectly called insulating tape. It is very unsuitable for that purpose.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
it's a fuse. It doesn't trip, it blows (melts)

buy a card of fusewire from an old fashioned hardware or electrical shop. You will need (get) 5A, 15A and 30A

your yellow holder is for 20A. Not sure that will be included. What's it for? Storage heater?
the white dots are 5A for lighting; the blue is 15A usually an immersion heater; the red are 30A usually for sockets or a cooker; though you seem to have a lot.
look for the makers name "Wylex" on them, if so you can buy a few spares that will be convenient ib future. you need a small flat screwdriver to change the fusewire.

you MUST turn off the main switch before removing or replacing a fuse, as there may be a flash that will startle you and erode the contacts

you pull out the holder by gripping the projecting lips at top and bottom of each. Inspect it with a torch or in good light to see if it has blown; if there is any other damage; and to check that some numbskull has not mended it with something wrong.

yours looks like a Wylex Standard (or a rebranded copy)

you will probably find the receptacles that the fuseholders plug into are coloured, to prevent you plugging in the wrong one.

Was it a white lighting fuse that blew? and was it at the same time that a lightbulb failed? was it a spotlight?

I think I broke my boiler, the console next to it is still supplied, so its probably not an electricity problem, but thought I should at least check.

Yes. Switch off and then pull out the appropriate fuse. You will need the correct rating of fuse wire.

Where have you been?

Only ever seen MCB's before. So instead of these tripping and simply moving a lever I actually have to replace a wire/fuse with this house's electrics?? Man thats so annoying, why would anyone NOT have MCB's.

if you know any elderly people, they are very likely to have a card of fusewire in the shed or in the cupboard under the stairs. most likely theu now have a modern CU with breakers and will never need fusewire again.

you might find a card pinned to the wall or lying in the dust next to your CU.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Only ever seen MCB's before. So instead of these tripping and simply moving a lever I actually have to replace a wire/fuse with this house's electrics?? Man thats so annoying, why would anyone NOT have MCB's.

an old house that has not been rewired for many years, and/or belonged to a very mean person unwilling to pay the extra for MCBs.

Yours looks like it could be 50 years old.

I had some aunts who had a bungalow built around 1960, no expense spared, and had a metalclad Crabtree C50 CU with circuit breakers (bigger than today's ones).

it was still working perfectly when I had to clear it out many years later.

quite a few houses have those , all mine have , and we have lived in 7 houses most built in the 70's had them and all worked fine , i replaced 3 of them , when allowed to do it, and we have only recently changed the CU on a bungalow my mother owned for 97 built in 1932 , and that has that type of fuse box - hense the name

so not that uncommon

If you want mob's look here replacement mcb for old fuses but as has been said fuse wire is a lot cheaper & rarely blows unless overloaded

an old house that has not been rewired for many years, and/or belonged to a very mean person unwilling to pay the extra for MCBs.

Yours looks like it could be 50 years old.

I had some aunts who had a bungalow built around 1960, no expense spared, and had a metalclad Crabtree C50 CU with circuit breakers (bigger than today's ones).

it was still working perfectly when I had to clear it out many years later.
I still have a SH Crabtree 6 way and a load of MCB's here, I've done loads of work in schools where there are still loads in service...
A short while ago someone told me they are being made again due to demand, I don't see it myself but....

I need to check if a fuse has tripped, never seen anyhting like this before. Thanks!
I still have 2 in use in my house, granny annexe used as workshop/junk store and shed. However several fuses have been replaced with MCB's:
1659551837514.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back