Amendment 3 +++ Metal fast fix dry lining boxes ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed some MK 2g 13a /usb sockets in a timber framed property. The existing sockets are fitted using fast fix dry lining boxes. This got me thinking about the fire risks and if perhaps amendment 3+ might come along and outlaw plastic cavity boxes:cautious:

I have never seen a metal fast fix, only these 'add on' lugs for metal flush boxes.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
You can buy metal fast fix boxes fitted with intumescent pads if you're really worried! They are rather expensive.

Sponsored Links
The way these things are going, all wiring will have to be done in pyro all run in sealed steel ducts with sealed fittings boxes and an automatic CO2 discharge system.

You can buy metal fast fix boxes fitted with intumescent pads if you're really worried! They are rather expensive.

I was not aware that you could buy metal ff, do you know who manufactures them?

Thanks,

DS

Just installed some MK 2g 13a /usb sockets in a timber framed property. The existing sockets are fitted using fast fix dry lining boxes. This got me thinking about the fire risks and if perhaps amendment 3+ might come along and outlaw plastic cavity boxes:cautious:

I have never seen a metal fast fix, only these 'add on' lugs for metal flush boxes.

Regards,

DS

Wouldn't the point you're trying to make therefore extend to plastic pattresses, and then ultimately plastic faceplates?

It used to be that a non-combustible box was metal or platic, and not wood.

Where does it say non-combustible is metal only?

People have taken 421.1.201 as saying that - even though it doesn't.

However, no manufacturer has come up with a non-combustible insulated CU.

Perhaps the LFB will seek to outlaw timber in house building.

Wouldn't the point you're trying to make therefore extend to plastic pattresses, and then ultimately plastic faceplates?

I am not making a point. I ask a question ? I refer to fast fix boxes as by their purpose are fitted in wall cavities.

regards,

DS

I am not making a point. I ask a question ? I refer to fast fix boxes as by their purpose are fitted in wall cavities.

regards,

DS

Wouldn't the question you're asking therefore extend to plastic pattresses and then ultimately plastic faceplates?

Since 'Ammendment 3' goes on about consumer units, not necessarily recessed into cavities, then the question you're trying to ask would presumably refer to all enclosures.

Don't know why you are worried. New regs are never retrospective for existing installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back