Angle grinder nuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just lost an hour trying to release a stuck angle grinder nut, not for the first time; I tried a piece of scaffold tube over the pin spanner, but all I got for my trouble was a cracked open-ended spanner (used to hold the spindle). I've tried drifting the nut round with a punch; I've tried a pipe wrench on the perimeter of the nut. I had to abandon the angle grinder and use another for the job I was doing.

I'm reluctant to cut the nut in half with a hacksaw (as I've had to do before). Does anyone have any tips for getting these nuts off?

And does it help to loosen the nut after each session using the grinder?

I've used a Metabo nut with wings for hand release; that got destroyed when I had to use a wrench to take it off. I recently got a Jacobs quick release nut which I'm now trying. Does anyone have an opinion of these?

Sponsored Links
Get a decent make of spanner,Snap-On or Britool or similar.
Clamp the spanner in a vice.
Position the Angle grinder in place, on the spanner.
Use a heavy hammer to apply sharp blows to the pin spanner.

If this fails, apply heat using Oxy-Acetylene torch, to the nut, and use pin spanner as above.

Thanks for that. I've prepared another spanner by grinding the sides down to make it fit, and I'll try it in the vice, with heat if I need to. Any thoughts on what I can do to stop it happening in future?

Never really thought about a preventative measure before, I suppose a heat resistant dab of grease on the threads/face of the nut may help.

I only do the nuts up hand tight, they tighten themselves up, and as you know can be a sod to get off after heavy use.............. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I have a cheap 9" grinder, don't use it much. The spanner pins bent... Can I buy a new nut & spanner of a decent brand for a reasonable price? Otherwise, I'm going to need a new grinder! Seems excessive! Anyone know a seller?

Thanks

Tony

wolfcraft do a nut and spanner kit for less than a fiver
any local wolfcraft dealer should be able to get you one

They normally get tight if the disc gets pinched.

The ones where you need to use 2 spanners can be a pain in the backside, you need 3 hands sometimes :cry:

Another trick is to hold the shaft, then a few sharp blows to the disc, downwards on the edge of a bench is ideal. Try and wedge the spanner agaings the body of the grinder so it doesnt move.

The drift way is another gooden, but you need to get the spindle still, spanner wedged against body again, and the angle of the punch just right.

I use/abuse grinders everyday, not once have i had one that wont come undone one way or another- never had to resort to cutting one off!

how about tightening it up before you attempt to loosen it.

no none of them are .

i use an sds click nut. brilliant.

t_1603340031.jpg

do not put it on upside down though. :eek:

I agree that none are left hand thread: that would be rather dangerous!

I'm trying an SDS click nut. I'm concerned that if it ever gets stuck, it will be a nightmare to remove. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Do you have a link to a retailer of those noseall? They look interesting. Do they work similar to those keyless chucks which only have one 'barrel' part?

when I buy my latest angle grinder (because they burn out about every 6months) I throw away the key.

Saves me looking for it

because I always have water pump pliers (which we call grips) with me and plumbers pride themselves in not using the correct tool for the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back