Angle grinder spindle locked up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 9in Hitachi angle grinder. On changing a disc using the supplied tool located in the spindle holes, I find it is locked up.

I am turning it the right way, anticlockwise, but applying normal force (on the disc fitting tool) did not unlock it, so I tried tapping it with a nylon mallet. It is still locked solid, although the mating plate on the other side of the disc is turning with the spindle cap, whilst holding in the spring locking pin.

I have used this tool for many years, never having had a problem.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Lets get this right.....the machine isn't seized itself, its just the locking pin doesn't hold the arbor - is that correct?
If it is, the end of the locking pin has sheared off.
I've got round this by sacrificing the disc by holding it in a vice, and then using a centre punch and hammer to drift the collar loose.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you have the model number Andrew, there are a few exploded diagrams on line - for example ToolPartsdirect.com
If you can find the part number, it can be found in the UK.
Its held in by a circlip and spring inside the geared driving head.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back