another calculation qusetion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can this be done...i have a fault on a ring below floor and am trying to find which floorboard to lift up and was thinking that if i measured resistance at point A ie R1+R2 * multiplier *l/1000, and then at point B, would subtracting the first value form the second hint roughly at where the fault lay. Or does anyone have a better way of calculating this.?.trying to use my head here...ouch

Sponsored Links
Ah,,,,

But using this method you are assuming where the cables run. In houses you can find some weird and wonderful routing :eek:

you don't specify what "fault" you have.. so it's hard to suggest ways of finding it..

Also, this method will only work it the fault is a proper dead short. If for example a cable has been nailed through then this often creates a high resistance fault which could throw you well off the scent.

Sponsored Links
I don't follow why you subtract the point B from point A, if in an ideal world the conductor temp is 20ºC and it was a dead short, taking the resistance of phase-CPC from either point and dividing it by the ohms per meter value @ 20ºC for a 2.5 with 1.5mm CPC cable will, in theory at least, reveal the distance from that point to the fault.

Note, the tabulated values in OSG are in mOhms/m @ 20ºC, divide this figure by 1000 to give Ohms/m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back