Another drooping upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1056.JPG IMG_1053.JPG Hi

Have used search facility so appreciate previous posts on this subject. Photos attached to illustrate. Handles stay down, and in open position, without bouncing back. I've taken handles off and no visible springs, so guess it's latch mechanism. If so, am not sure which/how many of the screws on the side plate of the door Is neee to remove to repair or replace said unit?

Door about 20 years old.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 214
Sponsored Links
Some have a spring mechanism in the handle, and others have nothing, simply relying on the fact that you push the handle into different positions depending on what you want to do. Sounds like you have the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. No spring in handle, but must be spring mechanism elsewhere as handle used to bounce up after use.

Sponsored Links
If not in the handle it will be inside the gearbox (maybe need a whole locking mech) Assuming you can find the right one.
Would be cheaper to buy and fit sprung handles.

Take the handles off and use this guide to measure them http://www.handlestore.com/blog/how-to-measure-upvc-door-handles/
Measure very accurately! As many handles are withing 2mm of each other.
Then try to find them on ebay as it will be alot cheaper

Thanks. V helpful.

Happy to go for replacement, and will measure appropriately. Just wondered whether the newer ones all come with spring in handle? Do they also come with rest of locking mechanism?

No and no.
If you want to change the lock mech go ahead but it will be much tougher to find the right one and will cost £60-£180.

Take the handles and cylinder out. Undo all the PVC screws down the edge of the door (Not the machine screws! If its 10mm or under put it straight back in.) Take the gearbox out. Take lots of pics and measurements. Look for any codes printed or stamped anywhere and then have a Google of those codes.

Thanks again. I was clumsy in referring to "locking mechanisms" above. I don't need or want to replace the whole thing as door locks securely. I simply meant the latch section (secured by screw) which operates via the handle.

Can I remove that and inspect for damaged spring etc? (I note you said above that spring might be in locking mechanism or gearbox anyway)

I guess easier to order handle with spring, so assume spec says that before you order.

Sorry to be dumb but terminology a tad confusing.

Ah got you, Thats sort of a separate issue possibly.
Yes you can undo the spring on the latch to have a look. Some will only come out so far to allow it to rotate for opposite handles doors. Some do come right out (I think yours will by the looks of it). Then if you can find one the right size you could just replace the spring

Ok will take a look. (Don't suppose I can do any damage by just removing latch?)

Many thanks again.

It's not a latch problem, take the handle off, and look for the spring mechanism around the shaft.

Thanks. Think I already said there is no spring mechanism around shaft. Hence all the discussion about it being "elsewhere" within lock.

I know you did, but that's where is should be. The locking mechanism has an open and closed position, so no facility to resume a neutral position. But if you can find it in the lock mechanism, then I'll happily stand corrected.

IMG_1058.JPG IMG_1057.JPG Hi again

New picture showing back of handles. It may be that there was once something there but not a trace left.

No definitely not in your case; but let's do a double check, how long hasn't the handle not been centring itself. What's changed.

Do you have a Toolstation nearby. They do handles (which may or may not match your size, and these have the self centring springs in the pack, but you don't need to use them if you don't want them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back