Another drooping upvc door

The screws will tighten the handles on both sides, so although the new and old holes may be near each other, it won't weaken the door frame. And as long as you don't make the holes too large, then it should still hold itself side to side. Can you hold the handle alongside the door, and then take a picture. I can see your concerns, but as long as you're careful, then you should be okay.

Sponsored Links
IMG_0993.JPG Hi

Have taken these photos. Hope they explain predicament. Handlestore completely useless.

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

I can see why you're concerned, but as long as you're carful, and don't make it too wide, I think you'll be fine. Worst case scenario, you'll end up filling the upper hole with 2 part body filler to reinforce it.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. So I should be able to use 10mm bit as advised by Handlestore?

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

Hi again

Update. Above are more photos of my disastrous Universal Handle, post fitting.

As expected, I ended up with bigger screw holes due to proximity to existing screw positions. I now find that, no matter how tight screw is, the lugs on each side pop out so not flush finish.

Grateful for any advice.

The lugs are probably touching the second layer of pvc, either enlarge that hole also or file or hacksaw a bit off each lug, check also that the screws aren't too long and are reaching the end of the threads on the outer handle, some handle packs have 2 sets of screws - long and short

Thank you for that. Will check the second layer of upvc inside hole and enlarge that if necessary. Re hacksawing end of lugs- will try. Re screws- only one size provided so shouldn't be too long??

If you've drilled through the door, then you'll have gone right through. If the screws are too long, the handles will be loose. If the handles are tight together, then it's the lugs that need filing down.

Thanks again. Do you recommend filing down both lugs on each side? (I.e even the ones with the thread)

That'll be a judgement call on your part, but you should be able to get away with just filing down the lugs on one handle. But looking back at the earlier pictures, I think it'll be the screws being too long

Thanks. I just ordered the handle and it came with two screws, so would expect them to be right size?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back