Another drooping upvc door

Hi again

We first noticed it about a month ago.

Yes we have Toolstation close. (2 of em)

Glad you mentioned the sizes. I checked the ABC and ours don't exactly seem to be plentiful, at least on Handlestore site. My best estimate is 90/25/160?

All other things being ... more than happy to get handles with springs.

Appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
The reason I've been a bit pedantic over this, is that there is no central point on a locking mechanism/gearbox; they're either open, or locked. When lift the handle to lock it, the handle will then go back to central point, so unless your gearbox has a spring in it which has gone, then the handle has to do the function.

Just checked back door which has same lock and functions normally.

There is no spring in either handle, so spring definitely elsewhere in lock.

Well you've proved me wrong, so I'll apologise, but it may still be easier (and cheaper) to use a spring loaded handle, than try and replace the locking mechanism.

Sponsored Links
No need to apologise. I was just reporting back.

I agree it would be better to get spring loaded handles if I find right size.

I am a bit curious as to evolution of these locks. Was there a time when default was for spring to be in lock, and gradually replaced with spring loaded handles etc.

Thanks for all you help anyway.

Cheers

They are all different. There are hundreds of handle sizes/makes and thousands of gearbox sizes/makes.

To be honest I think some companys came out with odd sizes just to rip people off.
Patent an odd sizes that only you can make, Sell them at hardly any profit for a few years to as many factorys as possible. Do a production run and keep 10k or so for stock. Then sell those extra ones for quadruple the price to people who need replacements.

Then do it all again with a new odd size

Thanks. Is it likely that I'll struggle to find handles (with springs!) for my size? Given above but 90/25/160 for the A, B and C measurement.

Hi again

Have ordered "Universal Handle" from HandleStore. To fit will need to drill two new holes in upvc door frame. Have never drilled through upvc before. Do O just drill straight through one side, through the gap and then through the next section of upvc. Also not sure what bit to use?

Sorry to be so dumb?

Ta

Not a dumb question at all. As long as you haven't got any crap drills, then pretty much anthing will go through UPVC; just keep the drill steady and level, and do one side, and then the cotinue through to the other. If you want to be ultra careful, you can do a thinner drill through both sides, and then the right size from the outside. Put some masking tape on the door to set out your drill points, and that'll keep it from slipping. Other wise, use a 2mm pilot hole first.

Thank you again. My main fear was keeping drill level to start with, keeping it level and having a bit long enough to cover both sides.

The hole can be oversized as the front plate screws to the back plate, not to the door itself. Just carfully work out where the holes should go, and drill from either side.

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

Hi

Just bought Universal Handle from Handlestore. I've repositioned new handle over Euro lock and one of the new fixing holes required is precariously close to existing one (photo). The other problem is diameter of hole as needs to take screw and fixing lug for first inch.

I'm just a bit worried about creating a massive hole with lug then wobbling around in door frame etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 108
An oversized (elongated) hole won't be an issue, but the spindle and euro lock positions doesn't look to be lining up. But that could be a perspective issue.

Hi again

When you say "oversized elongated" do you mean the two holes that overlap are sitting underneath each other, rather than horizontally next to each other??

If so, wouldn't that still create movement, even when screws tightened? (Would also be same on other side)

Spindle and Euro lock alignment is fine.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back