Another misleading and useless video!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems like there are many videos on YouTube that instruct someone on how to change a light switch, light fitting, etc... Now while many do not include proper testing procedures or good workmanship and can be misleading and ambiguous to the viewer, this one is simply just wrong.

Anyone notice the mistake shown in the Vid?: :rolleyes:(n)

Oh, and it's called the Line conductor, not the Live conductor.

Sponsored Links
Is it that she did not fix the connector plate securely or that she made reference to the modern luminaires with terminals in the wrong positions, these are what springs to mind! :)

Is it that she did not fix the connector plate securely or that she made reference to the modern luminaires with terminals in the wrong positions, these are what springs to mind! :)

Yes, but something wrong more than that. Look at 3:08, there's something not quite right there! :sneaky:

Very first sentence is wrong - 'many electrical jobs around your home legally have to be done by a qualified professional'

'After turning the power off' - doesn't touch the fusebox, which has the switch ON.

But by far the biggest blunder: The T&E cables each have one core cut off, circuit could never work as shown, totally unrealistic.

Sponsored Links
Interesting method of wiring.....

18p06h.png

But the first mistake is in the opening sentence: "Many electrical jobs around your home legally have to be done by a qualified professional for our own safety."

Oh, and it's called the Line conductor, not the Live conductor.
I am going to defend that though: To most people it's live and neutral, and it's really only going to be the younger generation which has grown up with the new definition of live including a neutral.

I am going to defend that though: To most people it's live and neutral, and it's really only going to be the younger generation which has grown up with the new definition of live including a neutral.

I was just be OTT. For the DIY'er calling the Line conductor Live, it is fine IMO. Just by BS7671 it is known as the Line Conductor.

Yes, but something wrong more than that. Look at 3:08, there's something not quite right there! :sneaky:

Ah I get it now, some of the circuit conductors have been cut off, I'm no professional, but I know from experience from wiring electrical bits 'n' pieces, like plugs and trailing sockets and the like, that this would never work in real life! :) Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Eveares! :)

Am I wrong or has the "demo board" got the switch wired between Live ( Line) and Neutral. Switch ON and short the Live to Neutral

Am I wrong or has the "demo board" got the switch wired between Live ( Line) and Neutral. Switch ON and short the Live to Neutral
It has one side of the lamp connected to N from the supply, and the other side of the lamp connected to one side of the switch. But there's nothing connecting L from supply to switch.

And that's just what we can see - Who knows if anything is actually connected elsewhere!

Ah yes as mentioned two of the wires ae snipped off ( the ones that would be in the Loop terminal ) Still dangerously bad advice. I have mentioned this to Which.

Still dangerously bad advice. I have mentioned this to Which.

Good that someone has mentioned it to Which?; Also as quoted from the video, "I'm here at the woman's construction centre in sheffield, with top electrician ***** ******** who's kindly agreed to..."

Also quoted from video description: "Which Local award winner ***** ******** shows us how to wire in a new light fitting"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back