Another misleading and useless video!

Sponsored Links
Oh My it gets worse :rolleyes::notworthy:, just look at these :eek:: (and she's wearing a NiC EIC t-shirt!; is she an niceic approved electrician? - see 2nd/bottom video)

(No need to replace the pendant, just rewire; and un-switched sockets are fine, safe and can still be bought.)

(same nonsense in beginning about having to legally use electrician, not best way of stripping cable with snips - risk of damaging cores, Fuse should be appropriate for the CCC of the cable and not just what came out of the plug.)

Last edited:
First point is legally there is nothing to stop any one with the skill required from doing any electrical work, although it may be uneconomic to do it. No loop wires, which is not really normal; wearing a watch with a metal wrist strap is not a good start. But to replace one pendent light fitting with another, this video is not far out. But most DIY people want to get rid of the ceiling rose which is where the problems start. But it does suggest keeping to simple pendent. So really there is nothing wrong with the advice given.

Yes there is a problem with the switch having a line and earth only. So as shown the setup would not work. But it would not work to start with, so not working at end means it is the same as you start with.

I find the whole idea of replacing a ceiling rose with an alternative arrangement suspect to start with. The only real way is to replace the ceiling rose with a junction box which does the same job, but can be hidden inside the void between ceiling and next floor.

But main point is the including of a bosom is much more appealing than even the most athletic mans chest. It is a simple video to show how woman are pretty, but thick. Clearly an actress, not a real electrician, female electricians I have met have been very good, but not really bathing beauties.

But although not really any help, it at least does not do anything really dangerous, and is a good laugh which I suspect was all the male director wanted? Note she is blond so what do you expect?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Anyone notice the mistake shown in the Vid?: :rolleyes:(n)
The notes I scribbled as I watched it:

0:05 - wrong about the law
0:50 - no test for dead
1:10 - nothing in the loop terminals
1:20 - all blues are neutrals
3:05 - how does that work then

And I don't want to get dragged into irrelevant personal comments about the presenters, but really, Eric - you should get yourself down to Specsavers.

The snipped off, unused cores should be grounded.

Having the switch on the DB in the on position was a booboo. However, I suspect the test board had a plug on and was disconnected.

Just because the wires we could see were insufficient to make a circuit does not mean it could not work.

There was a visible N from the DB to the rose and a visible switch wire from the switch to the rose.

There could well have been a feed from the DB to the switch fed behind the board.

There could well have been a feed from the DB to the switch fed behind the board.
Possibly, but if the aim of the demo board was to represent a typical lighting set-up, wired "loop in" method (which I'm sure is what we all thought when seeing a cable from CU to light and another from light to switch) why would you want to resort to doing that way? Although in practice it's unusual to find a rose screwed onto a separate base, when she removed the rose I was at least expecting to see the live loop-through in a choc-block terminal underneath. But why even that? What would have been wrong with just wiring into the ceiling rose using the loop-in terminal?

I think making a video is hard. Or any instruction set for that matter. At school we were told to make an instruction set to tell a robot how to make a cup of tea. Everyone in the class missed something. Clearly the video is made in sections which are blended together and I would suspect it was not an electrician doing the editing.

The whole problem with the internet is anyone can have a web site and there is no control to ensure the content is correct. Anyone writing a book will ask a proof reader to check it for errors, but on the internet that seems to be rare.

As to testing for dead it is likely the test board is not live I can using electronics workbench do all sorts safely as it is only a computer simulation. Although clearly the video does not help it is not as dangerous as many of the internet videos out there.

What is the real problem is the "Which" logo which makes one think it's a video made by Which. The Utube link does not really show if official Which or just an advert for her firm.

For the DIY'er calling the Line conductor Live, it is fine IMO.
No, it is completely wrong and non-specific. It is a live conductor, not the live conductor. The neutral conductor is always a live conductor, so it does not distinguish in any way.

No, it is completely wrong and non-specific. It is a live conductor, not the live conductor. The neutral conductor is always a live conductor, so it does not distinguish in any way.
I think it does to the majority of people, and certainly those of us who grew up learning it that way. Remember that the IEE Wiring Regs. themselves used to say that a neutral is not a live conductor.

Although clearly the video does not help it is not as dangerous as many of the internet videos out there.
Indeed. From this side of the pond, one I posted in the international area earlier - This guy has absolutely no idea what he's doing and shouldn't be messing around with wiring at all, never mind trying to tell others how to do it:

It seems she only started in 2006 and it only took a couple of months to pass the exams. Wish I could have passed my exams that quick clearly I am thick! The financial services industry is hardly what we would call an allied trade. OK because I moved sidewards I took more exams, but it took year of day release, year of night classes, and two years in University before I gained my qualifications as an electrician and that was starting as an auto electrician to start with.

Two months training and now she is a tutor at a college and chair of our Management Committee of that college? Yes in 11 years one can pick up skills of the trade but today you still need the college to teach the maths I will admit I just managed the maths and realise that's my weak point. I just can't see how anyone can train to be an electrician in two months? At least to the standard where they can teach?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back