Another scam-dont get caught

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The latest scam doing the rounds is you get a postcard through your door saying the PDS (parcel delivery service) tried to deliver a parcel ..please ring the number below to arrange a delivery. If you do ring the number you will be given a message saying you have been charged for this call ...DONT RING IT....

Sponsored Links
If someone comes to your front door and asks you to remove your clothes and dance with your arms in the air, DO NOT do this, it is a scam, they just want to see you naked........I wish I had received this yesterday, I feel stupid now :cry:

If someone rings you & tells you you’ve wont the lottery but you need to ring this number don’t do it; especially if you didn’t buy a ticket. Then there is always the old favourite; I’m Prince Lalu Bunda from Wassa Land & my father the king has just been killed in a military coup, I need to get $10m dollars out of Africa quickly, please help me & I will give you $100K dollars if you will be so kind – but I need your full bank account details including your password so I can pay the money in! :rolleyes:

Scams are becoming ever more subtle though & many now involve hijacking your E mail account, changing your password & blocking you out; if only temporarily. They then scam your entire address book (which is –was - easier than you might think) asking for an emergency loan because your stuck abroad without any credit! It happened to me when I went to Spain for my annual 6 weeks in July this year & it could have been successful if they hadn’t said I was in Cyprus; what dumbos, evidence I was in Spain was all over my E mails. Fortunately this was enough to set the alarm bells ringing with everyone who knew where I actually was but the first I knew about it was a phone call from my daughter asking what was wrong. It caused me serious grief sorting it all out & changing passwords as there is no broadband where I stay & everything takes 10x longer to sort out.

I did post a warning on here at the time & the ISP’s have largely sorted the loophole now with personally avatars included on sign on screens but be careful. I’m still being asked (ribbed) by “friends” I don’t see that often asking when I’m going to repay the $1500 they wired me with the interest I promised! :LOL:

My older brother was at a conference in Warwick a few months ago. Shortly after the conference had broken for lunch, he received a call on his company mobile phone, purporting to be from First Direct, advising him that his wallet had been stolen. He asked how they had got hold of his company mobile number only to be told, they had rang the company he works for to try and contact him and had been given this number. They went on through the address details etc on the card and finally asked for his pin number so that they could cancel the card. Only after he had told them and the call ended, did he wonder why they would ask for his pin. He then rang First Direct and they put a stop on his card straight away. From receiving the first call, to phoning his bank could only have been about 5 minutes and yet the scammers managed to deplete his account to the tune of over £2000.
The police are involved now as they have a person buying goods in Tesco, with my brothers card, on CCTV. They also have another person using the same card a few minutes later withdrawing cash at an ATM.
First Direct have been very sympathetic and have refunded the money lost, but only as a gesture of goodwill. Technically, they could refuse as my brother passed his pin number on to a third party. (albeit innocently)
Incidentally, when he returned to the suite the conference was being held in, a few other people had had their cards stolen whilst they were out for lunch.(lunch was in another section of the same hotel the conference was being held at , so coats etc were left in the conference room).
Apparently the police told my brother that the hotel where the conference was being held was known for bank and credit cards being stolen there.

Sponsored Links
United utilities sent me a reminder?

It had a imprint at the top your home cover insurance plan has expired, then lower down renew now at a fifty % saving.
Ambigious or what? I did not havea policy to expire, it seems everyone is on the scam these days, trust no one.

Wotan

I'm waiting for a parcel to be delivered but the chances are I won't be in when the attempt is made, what should I do :?: :confused:

I'm waiting for a parcel to be delivered but the chances are I won't be in when the attempt is made, what should I do :?: :confused:
Have you a neigbour who would be willing to sign for it in your absence, if so just leave a note on the door saying deliver to such a number, just an idea.

Wotan

Have you a neigbour who would be willing to sign for it in your absence, if so just leave a note on the door saying deliver to such a number, just an idea.

Wotan
What with my neighbours!
next time I would see it would be either at Christmas, during a drunken pass the parcel game or in the local pub in a raffle!

I`m Billy no M8`s with no address book :mrgreen: I only use this elecctronic gizmo for eBay - then my PayPal is linked to an account with next to F all in it .

Hats off to you snico for your sarcastic gesture and you even had woody thanking you ..mmmmmmmmm...being critical is so easy, maybe this scam has been around for a while and only started around our way but my postman only mentioned it last week so I have only just found out as I do not sit on internet all day...the reason I said dont phone it because somebody is as the scam is running into six figures...but maybe I should not post this message on here and just wait to be critical when somebody posts something instead of being constructive...I bet you and woody was those slimy kids at school who hid behind the bully and sniggered when he picked on some unfortunate soul

Lighten up Bodge we all got the message so pick up another £100 and blow it on yourself this time. :)

Sponsored Links
Back