Another shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the US

Reports of 14 children and a teacher shot at a primary school by some fruit cake ?
In Texas

Sponsored Links
Apparently the bloke was 18 and shot and killed his grandmother before going to the school

Sponsored Links
Rather, protecting nut jobs' rights to have guns is alive and well in the US.

Because people in America defending gun ownership can't, or won't, read the second amendment properly.

'A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed...'

So unless you're a member of the National Guard i see no reason why a private citizen should demand the 'right' to own a firearm. Especially the military-grade weapons some of them buy.

I see no end to this insanity.

I'm just as anti as you.

However, "The right of people to bear arms" is difficult to misconstrue, no?

I'm just as anti as you.

However, "The right of people to bear arms" is difficult to misconstrue, no?

You cannot use that as a reason without putting the whole sentence into context.

'The right of the people to bear arms...' is contingent upon them being a member of a militia --- and a state of war whereby the nation calls upon them to fulfill their duty, according to the terms of the second amendment.

It is easy to misconstrue, apparently.

Gun toting Americans claim “you can’t change the 2nd amendment”

given It’s name I rather think history shows you can.

Nonsense to those that support that belief.

Anything, absolutely anything and everything is written in law/amendments/etc can be changed as to where there is a will, there is a way, fact!!

It will continue to happen until it happens to several people that are very well known and their families.

Even if the law was changed, it would take tens of years to remove the mass of weapons and there needs to be widespread support for that.

Republicans have elevated the second amendment to the level of Holy Writ; a statement of American identity set in stone.

In Chicago alone 218 people have already died due to gun violence, only 25 fewer in the whole of last year - the mayor, Lori Lightfoot (a mixture of Grace Jones and The Terminator) has no grip on the violence at all.

None of them belonged to a militia.

In fact, the last action i saw from an American militia was on the steps of the Capitol - before that, a group in Michigan stood on the steps of their State legislature.
Apparently, joining a militia isn't what it was meant to be in the constitution as they take up arms against the government.

And when the government decides they've become a pain in the ass they don't stand a chance - as at Waco.

Idiots. The f$$$ing lot of 'em.

The meaning can suggest a different reason for owning a gun
A militia is generally an army or some other fighting organization of non-professional soldiers, citizens of a country, or subjects of a state, who may perform military service during a time of need

Personally I can understand people who want to own a gun. I enjoy target shooting. The USA is rather different as guns are much easier to buy. They feature more in crime which may encourage people to own them for protection. The gun lobby turns incidents such as this one on it's head. The answer is to arm people so they can shoot people who are doing things like this.

The share of American households owning at least one firearm has remained relatively steady since 1972, hovering between 37 percent and 47 percent. In 2021, about 42 percent of U.S. households had at least one gun in their possession.

As much as polls can ever be trusted, this makes for quite interesting reading. Although the % is dropping, the majority of those surveyed favour stricter gun laws.

Stating the obvious, however I'm so pleased we live in a country were guns aren't prevalent. When you think about things like neighbour disputes that get out of hand, road rage incidents etc, I'm sure we'd see more deaths if gun ownership was relatively common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back