Another shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a shooter I don't see it all as simple as that. Guns can kill. One type of shooting I have shot long ago in a competition is limited time with a target that is only shown for a limited time as well. 10 shots. Single shot gun so load aim fire. The target comes and goes. Maybe 1 used for aiming 2nd to fire. It doesn't take all that many seconds between shots. This to hit the centre of a playing card from 25yds.

Changes in this area mean that it will take a bit longer for each kill. The most effective change really is a ban on handguns. The USA have I believe banned SLR's - self loading rifles. The next bullet loads itself. Without this the the bolt has to be pulled back and pushed forwards to load the next bullet. Take the magazine away and the bolt has to be pulled back which ejects the cartridge case , next bullet pushed in and the bolt pushed forwards again.

A report just said that the USA has an average of 10 mass shooting a week. 200 so far this year. Seems this one used a hand gun but may have had a rifle. Also it seems Texas's gun laws are weaker than some other states. Mass may mean more than one person. No details. Hand guns were highlighted. They showed some one target shooting with an automatic pistol, self loading in other words. Variation of that sort of target shooting used to happen in the UK. It can't any more as they are banned even revolvers. I have shot a small automatic pistol when they were legal. The magazine could be emptied in under 10sec with careful trigger timing. ;) Too expensive ammunition wise for me. Walmart discount the most popular killer bullet in the USA. In the movies we see people with hand guns and pockets full of magazines. Could that attract the wrong sort of person? It's easy to see why that sort of gun could prove popular even if the person owning them is ok.
Most of this is wrong or slightly off.

Semi automatic weapons are still legal in most of the US. There was a ban for 10 years on Fully Automatic weapons, but it expired. Some states limit them, some don't. Even then there's bump stocks and conversions.

With bolt action weapons you can shoot rapidly and accurately with training. See the mad minute for more details. Or Lee Harvey Oswald.

Almost all handguns these days are semi automatic, the only real exceptions are hardcore target pistols.

In the US a mass shooting is at least 3 or 4 victims.

Sponsored Links
Well the way see it unless there is some masse ban on fire arms

These types of incidents will only encourage more people to
Arm themselves ( imo)

Blimey if I lived in the states I would
Own a gun

The place is full of armed fruit cakes
Under those circumstances best to have a gun and not need it
Than not have a gun and need one
Yes, the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a class of toddlers with Guns.

The US is a mess, nothing is going to stop them murdering each other with firearms in the near future, but it doesn't have to stay this bad.

Almost all handguns these days are semi automatic,
The handguns shown were fully automatic.

You miss the points I made on variations of that and rifles. It's also a subject that you clearly have no person experience of.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a class of toddlers with Guns.

The US is a mess, nothing is going to stop them murdering each other with firearms in the near future, but it doesn't have to stay this bad.

Apparently there is or has been disscusion about arming teachers

Also it’s been said that shootings account for more deaths of young people / children than any other reason
It’s over taken car accidents

Some one said there has been 26 school shootings this year ???

Arm themselves ( imo)

Own a gun

I agree, chicken/egg situation. No one is going to be the first to give up their guns.

The only solution is more stricter checks, as most seem to be fruit cakes. I think it would be hard for the NRA to argue against that.
Probably should raise the age limit to 25 as well.

The same angry ****ed of person could get a car/truck/van and go and mow down a lot of people, or get a large kitchen knife and start hacking at innocent people. A criminal or psychopath intent on doing harm will usually find a way.

yes, but it is easier with an automatic weapon. If it wasn't, soldiers would be equipped with Transit vans and meat cleavers.

A simple solution a realistic one is have armed guard/s at all schools and close gates if practical.

I guess a cost issue. But, my kid's primary school is very secure - high anti-climb fence all around, and the door past the foyer is locked and can only be opened by staff in reception. So it is hard to see how an armed person could walk in and start shooting. Crazy that this simple security is not used in American schools.

But, as mentioned, this is not just schools. Churches, supermarkets, restaurants, cinemas, sports arenas, concert halls etc have all been attacked. Does everywhere need an armed guard? I fear this is exactly what many Republicans and the NRA actually want.

Arm themselves ( imo)

Own a gun

Would you send your children to school, or do what many Americans now do, and homeschool?

So, I'd it basically saying you can only bear arms as a soldier in times of war?
That was the original purpose. Law came into effect after the American civil war to ensure that an uprising of the "South" could not take back control, I think

If the FBI was really on top of these forums, these atrocities could be prevented.

But, is there evidence that these school shooters are part of these groups? As far as I am aware, all were unknowns before they started shooting.

The problem really is the ease at which you can arm yourself. People can decide, without ever speaking to anybody, to go and shoot people. If the guns are everywhere, it makes it too easy.

Same reason why gun suicide rates are so high. Other methods are too easy to fail. Slit wrists, overdoses, you don't always die, you can be found and helped. If you want to jump of a bridge, you have to get in a car and drive, then somebody might talk you out of it. But a with gun at hand, there is practically no time to change your mind, and little chance of surviving.

Banning weapons helps lower suicides as well as murders. People need help, not guns.

Complex problems do not have simple solutions & the simple solution here is to ban guns outright. The problem with that is it won't work, it can't work & it's never worked before.

Prohibition of anything has never worked well. It is the simple solution for simpletons, keeps them happy & out of the real debate.

As a firearm owner & user I will fiercely defend MY RIGHT to own & use my guns. I am often misjudged by the idiots who think no civilian should own or use a gun, pushing those idiots to one side & we get to talk with the people who maybe don't own guns, don't need a gun but acknowledge that we need guns, some of us have guns & they're here to stay.

I don't know anyone who owns firearms who thinks walking into a school & killing children indiscriminately is a right. When the idiots accuse us of somehow having an affinity with the people who can do this, then we simply push them to one side & seek out those who can share the conversation with us about "how do we stop this happening".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back