Another summer house question..... or 10

I cannot see any effective earthing at the meter location.

There is no CPC taken from the cutout so it doesn't look like a PME system.

Is it a TT supply ?

Does it rely on that voltage operated earth leakage breaker for protection ?

If so then there is no protection as what appears to be the CPC of the wiring is connected to the grounded terminal and not ( as it should be, to the ungrounded end of the VOELB's coil. ( the small terminal at the top of the unit.

The "earth rod" connection looks like a bit of copper pipe driven into the ground. How long is it.

Sponsored Links
The best advise is for this chap to get a sparky around to scope his existing install in respect to extending it into a summer house.

I would expect PME would be available in which case there would be a few options.

I am still amazed that someone has advised running an 80m + 2,5mm submain on a 30A OCPD without any calculations and no real thought about the main earthing situation here.

Is that a 40A max meter as well?? :eek:

hi all, ty all for your input. This house is inherited and so the history is unknown, but i have now got an electrician coming round to survey this properly.

If you are all interested, i will let you know his findings?? i think brain storming may bring up some new options once the basic safety and assesments are done, but you all agree there is something wrong with the existing........and this is safety - so i will be getting that done before i think about summerhouse lights!!

........ hopefully this can of worms hasn't encouraged toooooooo many $$, how else will i afford to mow my 80m garden!!

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Tazzy, sure come back and tell us what was said, that way you will get an idea if the guy is a muppet or cowboy or a good chap. Get a goat to mow that 80m gardwn for you.

Tazzy, I did not mean to offend, I was humbly trying to encourage you to employ someone withappropriate knowledge for this. It was good of you to provide numerous photo's, unfortunately (fortunately?) they showed v
arious flaws, along with the text, about your current install. That is why I curtly suggested what i did.

Tazzy, I did not mean to offend, I was humbly trying to encourage you to employ someone withappropriate knowledge for this. It was good of you to provide numerous photo's, unfortunately (fortunately?) they showed v
arious flaws, along with the text, about your current install. That is why I curtly suggested what i did.

np :LOL: , i shall update in due course

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back