Another Vaillant Boiler problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for reading this...

Moved into this house a couple of years ago and inherited a Vaillant VCW GB 242/282H LPG fired Combi boiler.

Want to replace it in the near future but gotta get through this winter first!

I have searched and read extensively but havent found any problems quite like this one...

Sometimes the boiler will light ok but more often than not it tries to fire and then the safety cut off checks in and the little black button pops out.

In the winter when CH and DHW are on it more often than not just fails to come on at 6am but when the reset button is pressed the boiler fires and we're away! In the summer when CH is switched off, the DHW will occasionally fire with no problems but again, more often than not I need to reset the button before we get hot water. If I leave the hot water tap open as I go to reset the boiler, the boiler fires right away - only on a couple of occasions has it taken more than one press of the reset button.

The fan always comes on, the ignition can be seen and heard to fire, the burners light but shortly afterwards go out when the safety cuts out.

No-one wants to try and fix this, they just wanna sell me a new boiler and tell me the parts aren't available which I know is B******t cos I can source them myself on the net!

Any ideas people? A little advice would go a long way. I was thinking it might be a grubby air pressure switch but wanna look in the right place first!

Just so you know, I am aware of the regulations I just want to find the problem before I get a CORGI guy to replace it (against his 'sell em a new boiler instead' will)... I know not all of you guys are like that but my local ones are!

Sponsored Links
safety cut off checks in and the little black button pops out
Are you talking about the little black rubber button on the right side above the pump, or the reset button to the left on the control panel?

Keep the boiler, fire the 'engineer/ plumber'

Tony beat me to it

Great boiler. You take it out and replace it with a beanz can, you will live to regret it. One of very few boiler with a TITANIUM heat exchanger

What is you location?

DP said:
One of very few boiler with a TITANIUM heat exchanger
Really? I would have thought that titanium would be prohibitively expensive for such an application, even if titanium alloy. Are you sure about that?

Sponsored Links
Its not the one by the pump!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

like I said at the end of my post, Im sure there are some RGI that would sort the problem out for me its just the ones I've called and have been willing to come out that have been 'unsuccessful'...

Its like any profession you get good uns and you get bad uns...

and in my experience you dont get any bad uns on the forums just genuine helpful people!

please note 10a which is here

If you indicate where you are, someone on the forum might cover your area.

That is what I was told when I went on 242 course.

Run you nail across the fins. They do NOT keel over. Much thinner material as well.

I would not know. Only repeating what the man said.

I've given as much info as I can!
But you didn't say where you are, as suggested.

If you want to have a crack at fixing it yourself, you'll need the manual. then you can see what faults might cause the symptoms. Many faults will concern gas combustion and should only be tackled by a Registered Gas Installer.

Manual is very basic. Need a dedicated course. Course notes are a lot better.

The fault you have is usually associated with a faulty flame supervision board (vailant part number 10-0555 ), but usually pack up completely as opposed to the long term intermitent fault you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back