Another worktop routing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I've asked a lot of questions lately (first DIY kitchen install :D ) and I've had a lot of really useful advice and reassurance (thanks to everyone, particularly JohnD,Jasonb,letiss,Trazor, ricicle and Dingbat).

So here's a last one (for this time anyway :!: )

The last job I need to do is cut out two holes in the worktop for the hob and sink.

It's a 27mm thick solid beech worktop. It was supplied square-sectioned with no post-formed edge and I've kept it like that; I've just done a 4-biscuit+3 bolt butt joint in an L-shape as recommended by the supplier
http://www.hardwoodfloorstore.co.uk/worktops/worktop_installation_1.htm
and it 's worked fine.

(Bit of luck, my walls are very nearly 90 degrees. I had to chase into the plaster a bit but not much).

My router did a fair job of biscuiting+bolting the worktops but it's a bit weedy (Einhell 1020W). I do have a decent jigsaw but I don't really trust it to cut squarely through 27mm without creating a misshapen hole underneath. If I use the router to cut the holes I'm worried about scorching the wood as well as making a hole which the hob and sink will sit tight in. Do you think if I took things steady,in say 3mm passes I'd get away with using such a low-powered tool :?: I see from other posts the pros recommend 1600W+.I have 2 unused Trend 12.7mm bits for the job.
This will be the second time I've used a router (first after doing the join!). I did read up on them and have practised a bit and I do reckon I've got it (well, haven't made my first big mistake yet!)
I do have a reasonable-looking jig to guide the router which came with excellent instructions
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Tomorrow could either be a very good day or a rather bad one.

Jigsaw or router? How would you do this?
Advice, as always, appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If the sink fits over the worktop I would not be too worried about the quality of cut, if its an undermount thats a different matter.

For drop ins I would usually plunge cut with a circular saw, however if you only have a jigsaw/router then cut 3mm inside the line with the jigsaw and then clean up the cut with the router run along a straight edge clamped parallel to the cut line, cut about 6mm deep on each pass and you won't overload it.

Jason

if it is an undermounted sink you need to cut the top to overlap the inside edge of the sink by 12mm
and a cappilery groove i or someone else will give instructions how if reqired

also any edges near to walls that need to be moulded have to be done before instilation ;)

Sponsored Links
Just been having play on some pieces of scrap wood and reckon I can do a decent job (famous last words :LOL: ) using the jigsaw+router as you describe Jason.

btw I do own a circular saw and even got it out of its box but I definitely do not have the bottle to attack a brand new wooden worktop with a tool like that :!: Think I'll leave that to the pros!

The sink is a drop-in big-all.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back