Another "worth the extra" question re showers

I tell all my customers... if it's a concealed valve, the cartridges cost whatever the manufacturers want to charge cos they know you won't want to shell out for disturbing the tiles!!!

Sponsored Links
If it's buried behind 2k's Worth of tiling the make sure the valve is a good'un... you can come off of that with whatever surface-mounted head-gear you want!

That's where Aqualisa and Crosswater rock - cartridges haven't changed in decades so easy to replace. Crosswater cartridges also reversible if plumber cocks up the cold and hot feeds.

That's where Aqualisa and Crosswater rock - cartridges haven't changed in decades so easy to replace. Crosswater cartridges also reversible if plumber cocks up the cold and hot feeds.

Agree Dan, I know the makers of Crosswater personally... my only grievance with them is that they should adapt the mouldings so that inlets for hot and cold are/can be on same side so that you can keep piping from looking like a Swastika on a two outlet valve :sneaky:

I quite like the look of the £200 system so I could consider buying that and swapping the controls out for the crosswater one?

Sponsored Links
Sorry - edited. If I like the look of the £200 system and the mission critical bit is the valves/taps I could consider trying to find a triple crosswater tap and swap that for the default one coming with the pack?

Parents are elderly so would prefer 3 discrete taps to make it less confusing for them to prevent inadvertently turning on overhead shower when they sat in the shower seat and just wanted to use tap....

Changing the trims is not that straight forward. I was referring only to the heads and outlets.
Sorry - dealing with a noob remember:)
I thought I was referring to the heads and outlets too!
What are the trims?

And so - how do I achieve what I'm hinting towards please?

Hhhmmmmm I'm already confused.
As well I see crosswater triple valves are £380 even were I to muddle out the above :confused::cry:

Not sure if this is of any help

I fitted a back fed Gainsborough concealed mixer in my on suite shower around 1997. The shower is a decent size cubicle but not huge and a concealed was the better choice for me to save bashing my elbows. Had the cubicle re-tiled 2 years ago and replaced the mixer...with another Gainsborough Ambassador whilst I had the tiles off. When I inspected the one I took out there was no real limescale despite us living in a very hard water area but some, not serious, corrosion which isn't surprising after 17 years. The shower was working OK but as I said I was being proactive.

I had left a nice sized hole behind the cover plate, which I ran a line of clear sealant around on installation, of the mixer so I could remove it with a bit of wiggling without damaging the tiles as the mixers are quite small. They only cost around £150 at the moment but the other makes mentioned are excellent as I did go through the same process in checking them all.

Last edited:
Grohe anyone? My brother has a concealed Grohe thermostatic valve in his shower room, it's been going for like 20 years.

How about posting a link to the shower you've found that you like, then we know what we're dealing with and can suggest an alternative from a reputable manufacturer?

Victoria Plum are the online bathrooms arm of MFI, who rose from the ashes when MFI went bust (then came back, then went bust again). I don't think I need to say any more...

Last edited:
How about posting a link to the shower you've found that you like, then we know what we're dealing with and can suggest an alternative from a reputable manufacturer?

Victoria Plum are the online bathrooms arm of MFI, who rose from the ashes when MFI went bust (then came back, then went bust again). I don't think I need to say any more...

Good plan. Although they are both from catalogues. I'll post up a picture when I get home but this link is very similar:
http://www.bathshop321.com/square-triple-diverter-thermostatic-shower-and-bath-filler-kit/

Just after something sleek like above (they told me they have upgraded the tap/ valve to 3 taps not 2 as per that picture).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back