Another "worth the extra" question re showers

Have a look at Quartz Digital for another option - all of the controls and mixers can be put somewhere accessible and you can have remote controls for them... the only pipe that needs to be supplied to the shower cubicle is the mixed outlet.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this is of any help
The shower is a decent size cubicle but not huge and a concealed was the better choice for me to save bashing my elbows.
Space is a premium here too.
Sorry I should have set the scene better. This is going into a newly built single story wetroom for my elderly parents as they struggle with stairs and mobility in general so it's going to be tiled walls and altro nonslip vinyl flooring.
It's only 2.1m by 1.8m with main drain in the centre of the room so the floor will be screed to this.
Window is on front wall on the left. Perpendicular wall on left will have the (wall hung) toilet.
Sink will be on facing wall right next to window pretty much in centre.
Next to this on right is the shower area.
On the right side wall I'm having a shower seat fitted.
So the valve goes on the wall next to the seat and the shower heads/ riser/ tap on the front wall . This way they can sit on the chair and turn the taps.
Dad getting some memory problems so I felt 3 taps (presuming 1 for on/off, 1 for temp and one to select between outlets) would be easiest. Need to ensure the "default " position is "tap " do they don't accidentally get drenched while trying to sit and wash feet etc clothed wanting to use tap.

Wow that would have been a lot easier as a picture!!

Have a look at Quartz Digital for another option - all of the controls and mixers can be put somewhere accessible and you can have remote controls for them... the only pipe that needs to be supplied to the shower cubicle is the mixed outlet.
I vaguely recall a friend's friend telling us once recently to stay clear as they look nice but he's had 2 fail on him in short time recently?

Sponsored Links
I vaguely recall a friend's friend telling us once recently to stay clear as they look nice but he's had 2 fail on him in short time recently?

No offence but... is your friend's friend a plumber? I am and I have fitted dozens of these and they're a good product... yes they can do wrong, but you have a good warranty and it's all easy to get at and service, plus the convenience of controls where you want them.

Sorry yes he is - I remember him saying they look great and are popular but he now avoids them after a short run of failures. I appreciate that can just be bad luck - I was just feeding back(y)

So you're wanting to run a tap for the basin and a shower head (or two?) off the same valve?

So you're wanting to run a tap for the basin and a shower head (or two?) off the same valve?
Yes. A tap, flexible head and fixed head off the same valve.
If it gets too complicated I'll ditch the fixed head and stick to tap and flexible but it'd be nice to make it nice for them

If you want a valve that defaults to the tap being on every time it's turned on I think digital is your only option here, as all of the manual valves will default to where they were last left and if your father is forgetful he'll get regular unwanted soakings every time he tries to turn the tap on but forgets to move the diverter across first. Don't be scared of digital - I've fitted loads and think they're great :)

The ideal setup here for your specification would be an Aqualisa Quartz diverter coupled with a secondary diverter like this one to switch between the two shower heads. One button would then be used to turn the tap outlet on, the other to turn the shower on, and the manual diverter would switch between the two shower heads. The temperature will be where it was left when it was turned off, and can be limited using a setting in the processor to prevent them scalding themselves. It would also work with the cheaper Visage, but the divert function between tap and shower is a bit more fiddly on that one and might confuse them

I realise that's more than you were wanting to spend but it's the only way I can think of fully meeting your specification of three outlets off one control with a default setting of the tap being on. It also has the aforementioned added advantage of a temperature limit so they will be kept safe. Hope that helps

How about posting a link to the shower you've found that you like, then we know what we're dealing with and can suggest an alternative from a reputable
here are the pix I mentioned IMG-20170114-WA0002.jpg IMG-20170114-WA0003.jpg
its the cs37 we like with

Sorry, don't quite see how that satisfies your requirement of defaulting to the tap being on whenever you turn it on? I think it'll default to whatever it was last set to, as with every other mixer shower. I also think it'll be confusing for elderly users - I envisage you getting regular phone calls wanting to be reminded how to operate it.

They're used to exposed 2 valves for temp and flow. This adds the 3rd for the outflow. I agree it doesn't default to the tap but the compromise would be I ask for "straight " to be tap and turned either way is shower so when they see it's not straight they know to correct it before turning it on.

To be fair this was the pic before your helpful comments about the aqualisa

I installed a bar mixer for me da in his disabled level access shower room. And a few times he has become confused about which side turns it on.
Explain today and then next week you have to explain the same thing again.

Using a a shower that can be diverted to supply a basin tap is a bad idea imo.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back