Anthems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from the Britain/UK discussion, any thoughts on GSTQ being replaced by one that would include other parts of the UK, rather than it just being one written for England?

Or should each part of the UK have their own official one?

Sponsored Links
There could be both - for appropriate occasions.

I have long thought GSTQ an utter dirge; not to mention the objectionable lyrics.

Land of Hope and Glory for the whole or just England.

What is thought to be the best anthem?

For me it's Russia closely followed by the USA.

Sponsored Links
French would be my second choice, but you can't beat a bit of Beethoven.

The Wilhelmus is the best, in my opinion.

Not only an attractive tune, but also an interesting and fairly complex rhythm. It begins with 4-4, with a single bar of 2-4, then changes to 3-4 for the second half.

I liked it so much that I went to the trouble of learning the first verse in Dutch. As for the other several dozen other verses, no, I don't think so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBKZql1S97A

I suppose that, bearing in mind the original question, The Wilhelmus wouldn't be very appropriate for this country, especially the bit about 'honouring the King of Spain'!

For England (no, not Britain or NI - they would have their own) I reckon we could do far worse than 'Jerusalem'.

Hmm... And here's me thinking that "Land of my Fathers", " Flower of Scotland" and "Danny Boy" were the national anthems of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.... I think only England doesn't have its own...

Might I suggest Alexi Sayle and "Ullo John, gotta new motor"?

Hmm... And here's me thinking that "Land of my Fathers", " Flower of Scotland" and "Danny Boy" were the national anthems of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.... I think only England doesn't have its own...

Might I suggest Alexi Sayle and "Ullo John, gotta new motor"?

:D

I prefer the 'Ullo Tosh got a Toshiba' version!

They are not official anthems though, GSTQ is. For example 'Scotland the Brave' is played at athletics, and 'Folower of Scotland' at Rugby Union. (Possibly because GSTQ mentions crushing the rebellious Scots)

Whilst I consider myself patriotic, I have to say our national anthem is dreadful. Wouldn't be out of place at a funeral.

Sponsored Links
Back