Antibiotics...

Sponsored Links
No it isn't as I explained. Earlier article same paper prompted by an anti with no idea of what controls the UK will be using, Very much a could rather than a fact.
No you didn't, you didn't understand what was being reported. When questioned in parliament the minister responsible described the criteria for allowing prophylactic use and they were wider than the EU rules.

The guidelines say this prophylaxis should only be “in exceptional circumstances”, but questions in parliament by the shadow minister Daniel Zeichner elicited a response from the farming minister Mark Spencer that this would include “where there would be a risk of infection or severe consequences if antibiotics were not applied”.

Coílín Nunan, a scientist adviser at the Alliance to Save Our Antibiotics, said this meant widespread prophylactic use on large groups of animals would still occur frequently, because when animals are kept in highly intensive conditions there is often significant risk of infection.

EU rules ban antibiotics for group prophylaxis, which is limited to an individual animal only.
The EU bans group prophylactic use and we will allow it with loopholes you can drive a herd of cattle through.

Last edited:
I note that Morrisons is dropping it's pledge to only sell British meat, and is trialing NZ lamb...

It's cheaper than British lamb because of lower welfare standards...

And in NZ...

"Sales of some antibiotics supposed to be kept as a last resort for humans have been rising on farms, prompting calls for regulators to rethink allowing them to be used in animals"

Sponsored Links
The only way some one could really compare EU and UK standards on this is to actually look at them. Not reports about them the actual rules.

NZ lamb has been around for ages - frozen joints. Not tried often as found to be as tough as old boots. Not this means all will be, just the ones I have tried.

Back