Any commercial gas guys or trainers on here?

Can’t think where we have Jenbschers that aren’t on contract.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I can't possibly divulge that information...

But I'm also working on some jenbacher for the same company in a couple of weeks.
I wondered what a jenbacher might be.

It turns out it's a great big green thing...I'm guessing it's for electricity generation.

ges-jenbacher-type-4-engine-500x500.png

I wondered what a jenbacher might be.

It turns out it's a great big green thing...I'm guessing it's for electricity generation.

ges-jenbacher-type-4-engine-500x500.png

yeah thats it, this one is the 20 cylinder version.

the units are CHP (Combined heat & power) i'm not sure exactly the buildings these are powering in the local area but they also supply the hot water and heating

yeah thats it, this one is the 20 cylinder version.

the units are CHP (Combined heat & power) i'm not sure exactly the buildings these are powering in the local area but they also supply the hot water and heating

District heating schemes, I used to work there based in the Olympic village and the city.

Where I work now we have a variety of Jenbacher, MWM, Cummins, etc. The waste heat goes into our feedwater for the Hotwells and the exhaust into waste heat boilers.

Make sure you are legit as the HSE keep a watch full eye and are no fools.

@sxturbo the Jenbachers from memory they are 2MW and as such are classed as out of scope of GSR.
It is recommended however that you should still need to prove competence, either through a gas competency scheme or OEM approval/training.

My advice to you going forward would be to look at undertaking IGAS qualification, this will prove you competent for out of scope gas work, for inscope, look into limited scope core gas safety and CGFE1.
If you complete your IGAS, they will accept this as a pre cursor to allow you to undertake the limited scope core.

We have numerous sites where to work on the engines, gas safe registration will be required, however from that list, only a few (3 or 4) would require you to hold a full scope qualification, the rest you could do with limited scope.

I believe the work you guys do is very very good, so I look forward to seeing you guys on site in the near future.

Last edited:
@sxturbo the Jenbachers from memory there are 2MW and as such are classed as out of scope of GSR.
It is recommended however that you should still need to prove competence, either through a gas competency scheme or OEM approval/training.

My advice to you going forward would be to look at undertaking IGAS qualification, this will prove you competent for out of scope gas work, for inscope, look into limited scope core gas safety and CGFE1.
If you complete your IGAS, they will accept this as a pre cursor to allow you to undertake the limited scope core.

We have numerous sites where to work on the engines, gas safe registration will be required, however from that list, only a few (3 or 4) would require you to hold a full scope qualification, the rest you could do with limited scope.

I believe the work you guys do is very very good, so I look forward to seeing you guys on site in the near future.

Cheers Lee, I didn't get chance to call you today, I definitely will tomorrow.

Looking into it, for now we will do the ltd scope core and cgfe, and will look into igas now it's been mentioned.

We'll have to wait 2 years to then get the full core gas safety module.

I need to speak to Stuart in more detail and I think I'm going to need to ask to borrow a site for a days training for the cgfe module, as the training centre advise it cannot be done in their class room.

I think the jenbachers are a one off for now ( and I have had the MWM engines mentioned also), I am led to believe you have more CAT's than other models and I think these are mostly under 1.8mw and I think that's what we have originally been brought In for.

Last edited:
@sxturbo if you contact SGAS in Blackpool or Blueflame in Stoke, both those training centres have their own engines and you will be able to complete the required training there, without having to borrow a site.
These are the two places we would normally send our own engineers to to complete their training.
I was in Blackpool last week renewing my engine certs.

Both Center’s also offer IGAS training, and again we use this route for some of our engineers who work on out of scope equipment on our larger industrial sites.

if you are looking to go the limited scope route, also look into the ICPN1 qualification, this is for gas pipework and will be useful to your buisiness.

The qualification/scope confusion if you will, is catching up with a lot of operators, OEM’s and 3rd party companies, an old colleague has experienced exactly the same issue in his new role with an engine manufacturer supplying an engineer to an inscope engine who wasn’t registered, so this issue isn’t unique to yourself or our buisiness.

Our engine fleet is primarily CAT and MWM/Edina, however we have numerous Jenbacher, Cumins, MAN, Wartsilla with the occasional SAV,EC Power units around the country depending on business unit.

if I can be of any help getting you and your buisiness registered please let me know.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back