Gas pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a smell of gas coming from my little boys nursery last night. We switched off the gas supply and turned off the boiler. Following a call out from the national gas helpline they confirmed there was a leak in the house but not where it was coming from. The engineer cited that it was probably down to a botched DIY job by a previous owner somewhere in the house.

My question is, would it be safe for us to find the leak. Fairy liquid and water trick? We have no intention of fixing the leak ourselves and will happily leave it to a registered engineer, but cost saving wise if we could find the leak before calling someone out it would be better.

I don't think our home and contents insurance will cover this and I imagine it's not going to be cheap! Also, if anyone has an idea of cost for this type of work that would be great.

Many Thanks,

denise

Sponsored Links
Leave it to Gassafe registered engineer who will know how to find the leak.

Do not turn gas back on to find the leak yourself.

Daniel.

Stick with a gas safe engineer even if you found one and that would mean turning the gas back on that you know is leaking there may well be more than one.

Most fitters will spend about an hour on a "Trace and make good" checking the most common places for leaks to occur, and isolating appliances. then advise whether it is economic to carry on or simply relay to the appliances in use.

Depending very much on the type of property you have a modern house will only have gas to the boiler and maybe a cooker point. A Victorian house may still have gas lighting pipes in the walls and ceiling as well as fire points at each hearth supplies to old water heater points in bathrooms over kitchen sinks and a cooker, even a wash boiler or fridge point!

As to cost, ask the guy for a rough guide before he starts, prices do vary. I can't see you getting away with less that 100 quid even for just the first investigation. A relay will certainly be more but better than an open ended trace and repair that may find some pipe needs renewing anyway.

How would you find the leak yourself ???? the gas has been turned off and isolated

Sponsored Links
Do not turn the gas back on, wait for a GSR Engineer to attend.

I'd expect to charge this kind of work on an hourly rate plus materials as you never know how long it's going to take. Initial investigation could take one to three hours depending on the size of your property, and it depends on how good the access is as to how long it'll take to effect a repair.

Your home insurance will probably cover access to the area but not investigation or repair - that seems to be the way most policies work

As everyone above, aways leave it to the registered gas engineer. He would only have to confirm that there was only the leak that you found. Just ask for 3 quotes.

Oh, and soapy water should not be used to find gas leaks, it can be corrosive to certain materials that are used in gas.

Oh, and soapy water should not be used to find gas leaks, it can be corrosive to certain materials that are used in gas.

Hmmm. Of course we always used Soft Soap from the stores, would never dream of using Fairy liquid! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Lol...yup fair enough, if not made with salt of course :)

DeeDee - With washing up liquid being mildly alkaline and full of salt and then adding water, it can create the perfect environment for electrolysis corrosion when combined with different metals, not ideal if the pipe is carry gas IMO.

[quote="Madrab";p="3397653"He would only have to confirm that there was only the leak that you found. Just ask for 3 quotes.
.[/quote]

How is that going to work, then?

[quote="Madrab";p="3397653"He would only have to confirm that there was only the leak that you found. Just ask for 3 quotes.
Confused?

An engineer would need to check the whole system anyway, rather than rely on the OP to find them.

And... Go and get three quotes to compare, from engineers, for their approx trace and repair costs.

all you could realistically do is provide some access to the pipework (assuming you know where it is), maybe pull back your carpets, lift the floor, laminate flooring or whatever you have, that'll reduce the time spent by the engineer and hopefully the cost.

Confused?

An engineer would need to check the whole system anyway, rather than rely on the OP to find them.

And... Go and get three quotes to compare, from engineers, for their approx trace and repair costs.

Hello, Ihave had my gas cut off and need a quote to repair the leak. i need you and 2 more guys to give me a price.

Where is the leak

I have no idea

Nor have I

OP: Ypu cannot "get 3 quotes". You need to phone an RGI and expalin the circumstance. If you phoned me, I would ask your adreess, as we all know the layouts in some houses -others are totally random.I would explain that we obviously cannot give you a price, but I would explain HOW I charge. Sometimes we could have a stab at a liokely scenario, but ultimately the charge would depend on the time and materials it takes. Making sure undersides of hobs were clear and access to meter location would speed process.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by quotes. The OP can quite easily phone 3 different engineers up explain the circumstances and ask their advice, that may also come with a explanation of the charging structures and what it may entail. Quoting hourly rates, price per type of repair rather than a vague, sorry can't give you any idea of how much it may cost. That then gives the customer a choice.

I wouldn't give anyone a job that couldn't at least give me an idea of what the job may entail and the costs therein. That's what i meant by quotes

Agreed you could give them an hourly rate but no way could you give anymore info than that. How could you possibly know how long it would take.

I usually advise my costs and that I would spend 1hr max trying to locate the leak. If I can't do it in that time I would advise a repipe and quote.

I once spent 2hrs at my sisters house trying to find the source of a leak to find it was next door

I think you misunderstand what I mean by quotes. The OP can quite easily phone 3 different engineers up explain the circumstances and ask their advice, that may also come with a explanation of the charging structures and what it may entail. Quoting hourly rates, price per type of repair rather than a vague, sorry can't give you any idea of how much it may cost. That then gives the customer a choice.

I wouldn't give anyone a job that couldn't at least give me an idea of what the job may entail and the costs therein. That's what i meant by quotes

Which is pretty much what I said. But a "quote" has a specific and legal meaning, while a punter may construe somethoing else. You,as, presumably, a working proffesional should be careful how you word what you advise. IMO.

OP: The fact the smell comes from a fairly specific area helps. (Are there appliances in the room, or below?)Make sure your RGI is equipped with a gas detector - not every one has one. Tracing a leak is not always that difficult, with exprience and kit. Liifting chipboard floors or moving fittde furniture or 40's wardobes can be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back