Gas pipe leak

I think you misunderstand what I mean by quotes. The OP can quite easily phone 3 different engineers up explain the circumstances and ask their advice, that may also come with a explanation of the charging structures and what it may entail. Quoting hourly rates, price per type of repair rather than a vague, sorry can't give you any idea of how much it may cost. That then gives the customer a choice.

I wouldn't give anyone a job that couldn't at least give me an idea of what the job may entail and the costs therein. That's what i meant by quotes

Which is pretty much what I said. But a "quote" has a specific and legal meaning, while a punter may construe somethoing else. You,as, presumably, a working proffesional should be careful how you word what you advise. IMO.

OP: The fact the smell comes from a fairly specific area helps. (Are there appliances in the room, or below?)Make sure your RGI is equipped with a gas detector - not every one has one. Tracing a leak is not always that difficult, with exprience and kit. Liifting chipboard floors or moving fittde furniture or 40's wardobes can be.

Yes a gas sniffer is a useful tool, but not essential, however I would be a bit wary if he turns up with a canary in a cage! :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Most leaks are from a small number of places and causes.

But leaks in enclosed places like under the floor can be very difficult. At least when the floor cannot be taken up.

Tony

I think you misunderstand what I mean by quotes. The OP can quite easily phone 3 different engineers up explain the circumstances and ask their advice, that may also come with a explanation of the charging structures and what it may entail. Quoting hourly rates, price per type of repair rather than a vague, sorry can't give you any idea of how much it may cost. That then gives the customer a choice.

I wouldn't give anyone a job that couldn't at least give me an idea of what the job may entail and the costs therein. That's what i meant by quotes

Which is pretty much what I said. But a "quote" has a specific and legal meaning, while a punter may construe somethoing else. You,as, presumably, a working proffesional should be careful how you word what you advise. IMO.

OP: The fact the smell comes from a fairly specific area helps. (Are there appliances in the room, or below?)Make sure your RGI is equipped with a gas detector - not every one has one. Tracing a leak is not always that difficult, with exprience and kit. Liifting chipboard floors or moving fittde furniture or 40's wardobes can be.

Yes a gas sniffer is a useful tool, but not essential, however I would be a bit wary if he turns up with a canary in a cage! :D :D :D

Maybe not "essential", but if you cannot locate with nose, time spent can be massively reduced by avoiding uneccesarily removing ovens under hobs or isolating legs and testing. I don't understand why any service/repair guy would not have one. My FGA has one built in but too much of a faff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back