Any experts on shower wiring?

ok, I will investigate the costs or ripping out the whole setup and basically starting again baldelectrician, but this close to christmas i feel the more realistic option is ban-all-sheds suggestion of a small CU. This would keep us going in the meantime.

On the other issue of the supplementary bonding, is it dangerous to turn the shower on even briefly if the bonding circuit has been broken? Is it just a matter of connecting these 2 earths to the shower earth to make things safe again?

Sorry about the photos will look for another host when i have more time, I was a member at webshots and thought it would be easiest, pity it didn't really work.

Sponsored Links
Look closely at the service fuse block housing, why is the Red meter tail connected to what appears to be the Neutral side of the block?

Concerned said:
On the other issue of the supplementary bonding, is it dangerous to turn the shower on even briefly if the bonding circuit has been broken? Is it just a matter of connecting these 2 earths to the shower earth to make things safe again?
The idea of supplementary bonding in a bathroom is to keep all of the exposed conductive (metal shower casing, electric heaters etc) and extraneous conductive parts (copper pipework from outside rm, building girders etc) at or about the same potential. When a person is in a bathroom (wet + unclothed) they are more susceptible to electric shock. Regardless of wether the shower is used or not, if there is a break in the supplementary bonding and in the event of a fault (inside or outside the bathroom), a potential may occur between two simultaneously accessible items which can result in a shock.
Without being there myself it is impossible to say wether just reconnecting the wires is acceptable, my advice is to have another spark take a look.

Sponsored Links
kai said:
Look closely at the service fuse block housing, why is the Red meter tail connected to what appears to be the Neutral side of the block?
could just mean the rec guy ran out of black tail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back