any great saving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just seen T8 6ft twin fittings being swapped out for T5 6ft twin fittings. First time I've seen 6ft T5's.

They looked a lot brighter than the T8's they replaced, but I guess this is because the light is more concentrated (and the colour temp was different).

Is this commonplace now, swapping fittings like this? Are many companies doing it? If the savings are so good, why aren't Morrisons et al swapping their whole stores for these fittings? (my local Morrisons have recently replaced some HIDs in the market street area for T5 twin recessed fittings)

The only wattages I know of are a T8 2ft being 18w, and a T5 being 14w. Just seems too good to be true. Are the lumen outputs the same?

Sponsored Links
There are savings to be made, claimed to be quite high, City Electrical Factors have been trying to push their T8 - T5 conversion kits for a year or so now, all you need to do is work out quoted energy savings against the price a customer pays against the cost of installing the kits.

I've not used them yet, or tried to push them, at the moment I struggle to get the batch-relamping message across - just because an old T12 or T8 is giving out some light, does not mean its working to anywhere near its full intensity, but still using the same amount of energy.

I do actively suggest up-lamping from Halophosphate T8's to Tri-Phosphor T8's. Colour temperature is much more varied and lumen output does seem to be increased.

Alot of the big top spec commercial sites we work on seem to be specifying T5's these days.

There is a big new sainsburys near us which is lit with T5's. Maybe the supermarkets will start to move over in due course, but the savings to be had can not offset the cost of the fittings and installation straight away?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back