Any idea about Firefox and BBC iPlayer?

Sponsored Links
Still no improvement Blas? I get the occasional problem with iplayer, but it clears after a day or so. Could be an ip server traffic problem.

Hey Blas, not sure what version of FF you are on, the newer versions have been a bit picky with network settings.
First off, update FF to the latest version.
Check settinsg in Tools - Options - Advanced - Network.
On the Connection section, select settings and set to Auto detect. This is the best option.
But if you have specific proxies, you should install foxyproxy FF add on and use that, sorry if that's too techy!

Also install the latest Java runtime environment.

try that first and let us know how you get on. Let us know how the page behaves, is it trying to load the video or if it's hanging.

Thank you for the input so far.

As recommended by bim5 I changed Connection Setting to Auto Detect but no change, iPlayer still not working! I have latest version of Firefox 3.6.8.

I've just tried to watch 'The Incredibles' (or my son has), and the picture below shows how BBC iPlayer loaded when we click on 'The Incredibles' link.

As you can see, the iPlayer site loads no problem it's just the video that doesn't start. There is no pop-up or error message displayed. I can click on another link to another show at the side but once again the player changes but no video starts!

Now to Java. Java has been a problem for about a year or so and still is even though I've uninstalled Java and reinstalled several times. However BBC iPlayer has always played faultlessly on this PC before and since Java was/is a problem. For example, if we go to 'Yahoo Pool' it pops up with this message:

If I click on 'Cancel' then I cannot play pool on the site. If I click 'Run' then I get to the point where I can choose a table to play pool on. If I choose a table then I get this pop-up...

Again, if I cancel then I cannot play. I have to click Run to play.

To recap, I've NEVER had that problem with BBC iPlayer at any time. I've always been able to just go to the iPlayer and play anything (until a few days ago when I asked you guys for help). I haven't installed anything recently.

Thank you once again for your help so far guys. I hope you can help further.

Sponsored Links
Ok, try this:

Close Firefox and go to the start menu, open the run box. Now run: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

Create a new profile and see if iPlayer works from it.

Ok, try this:

Close Firefox and go to the start menu, open the run box. Now run: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

Create a new profile and see if iPlayer works from it.
:cry: Nope! Tried it, still no joy!!!! It must be a Firefox thing surely though? I mean it works no problem with IE!!! :mad:

Yep a few have said the same mate. Flamin annoying! Any idea why it would work with IE but not Firefox then? Both on this computer.

Is the flash plugin definitely being loaded by Firefox? This may be going back to basics but it's worth a try.

Type about:plugins into your address bar and look to see if Firefox has Flash listed in the plugin list and that is also enabled. If flash is disabled then that would explain why you would see no output and not be prompted to install a missing plugin. To re-enable you can use Tools > Add-ons > Plugins.

You don't mention if other sites with flash content work or not, try another site for example http://www.2advanced.com is a flash heavy site.

Also to determine if Flash is actually running but failing to load external content a simple check would be to right click the flash container, if you get a flash context menu then your plugin is running the content and the problem lies elsewhere.

Flash also has it's own caching mechanism outside of your browser, which sometimes can be a little overzealous. The Flash settings manager can be found at: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

You may want to look through the other tabs on the settings manager for related settings, for example the privacy settings and licence files settings could be having an impact, though you would expect this problem to show up in IE too if this was the case. I would recommend clearing out all cached content and resetting the licence files for a start.

Let me know how you get on and I can take you through the steps in more detail if required.

Agree with Synapse to clear out the cache in FF.
for a quick test, get to the page where the video should be playing and press CTRL + F5, this forces the page to re-load without using the cache.

For the Firefox cache and cookies, the quickest and/or easiest method is: go to "Tools — Clear Recent History" and select cookies and cache, then hit "Clear Now". If you have some cookies that you prefer to retain, clear only the cache (above). To clear out the BBC's cookies, go to "Tools — Options — Privacy", select "Use custom settings for history", then click on "Show Cookies". Find all the cookies that end in "bbc.co.uk" and delete them.

Then close BBC iPlayer window, re-open and try it again.

What version of Windows are you running?
If this doesn't help, you may need to clear out the Java cache. This should be in the Control Panel but depends on your Windows version.

Let us know how you get on.

Right guys, I've just cleared java cache (no effect, still can't use iPlayer!).

Cleared Firefox cache and cookies... you guessed it... no effect, still the same!

I've checked about:plugins and Adobe Flash movie swf is enabled along with FutureSplash movie spl.

I can click on and see/watch videos at http://www.2advanced.com no problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by:

to determine if Flash is actually running but failing to load external content a simple check would be to right click the flash container, if you get a flash context menu then your plugin is running the content and the problem lies elsewhere.

Could you explain please Synapse? ie where, what do I right click on?

Thank you very much for your time and help so far with this guys.

Sponsored Links
Back