Any idea about Firefox and BBC iPlayer?

This must be a problem at their end, I don't use iPlayer that often but when I loaded it up in both Chrome and Firefox I'm experiencing similar issues.

Firebug seems to illustrate that part of the page is loading and certain separate HTTP requests are returning internal server errors meaning the Javascript that loads the Flash container is never run. I don't know why it would always work in IE, perhaps you've just been lucky. Have you tried refreshing the page multiple times in Firefox to see if it eventually loads? I occasionally get the video loading but the stylesheet failing to load giving my unstyled output but the video plays.

The BBC should really know better than to load a lot of separate files on a traffic heavy site generating loads of HTTP requests. See the images below for Firebug and Chrome Developer tools results:
(Iceweasel is Firefox, just rebranded), you can see that some of the external Javascript is failing to load.

Sponsored Links
Yep that's exactly the same result I'm getting when trying to view a video Synapse. It was the fact the IE loads it without exception or problem every time that threw me.

I have tried refreshing the page several times but I'll give it another go but it looks like I'll have to wait and see if the Beeb do anything about the problem.... we can't be the only two experiencing the same problem!?

Thank you once again for your time and effort.

I did a bit of web surfing, BBC recommend to check your security and anti-virus programs and check if it is blocking the BBC website. But that doesn't explain why it works in IE.

One other area to check is windows firewall, make sure it allows adobe flash access see here

Review this page on Mozilla's support site reporting the same issue
link

There are some steps to perform on the last post, let us know if you test it out.
It may be easier to uninstall V3.6.8 and install V3.6.3
I have V3.5.3 on Win7 with iPlayer working.

all the best.

Checked the firewall earlier in the saga mate but just rechecked anyway... still no go!

I've posted into the Mozilla thread. From the looks of things there, it is an issue with FF 3.6.3 onwards.

Will keep looking and post back if I get anywhere. May well have to downgrade FF.

Thank you once again.

Sponsored Links
It is most likely a problem with Firefox Plugin-Container.exe This I believe is a process to contain such as flash streaming crashes, I am not aware of any security implications (??)

Freshly open Firefox.
Into the address bar type about:config

Move down list highlighted line as in image below.
Right click, from context menu 'toggle' from 'true' to 'false' (as shown).

I believe this releases npswf32.dll (flash plugin - I think) from the Plugin-container.
One may Google for other implications - if any.

FF-BBC-ip.jpg

Try it ...

Post script..
My clue, before the above sort of fix, came from my Firewall ( On-Line Armor ):-
FF-BBC-ip2.jpg

The ports shown are being blocked by default - unblocking them also allowed the iPlayer to work ok... This is, I guess, the root of the problem, I must have ok'd the blocking at some point following FF upgrade.

So also check if your firewall is blocking Plugin-Container.exe. Unblocking this is probably the best bet, thus retaining container attributes by leaving the config setting 'true'... If blocking is in place of course.

-0-

Thank you for your time and effort empip.

Windows Firewall is OFF.

McAfee Firewall is set to allow Mozilla FULL Access (The Plugin is within Mozilla as you'll know).

Changed the npswf32.dll to False.

It's still not working!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is driving me nuts!

Thanks once again though empip.

The plugin is run within Plugin-Container.exe, not FF itself, the container may also need to be set for net access permission in McAffee... It will be seen as different program to FF.

My firewall was blocking only some outgoing ports for Plugin-Container.exe. The program itself and FF were/are both allowed FULL internet access. The blocking was rule based, I guess rules are tested after the granting of full net access.

Certainly turn off McAfee for a quick interference test. Reboot try FF etc.

I am sure this due to Plugin-Container.exe It is not used by IE, hence iPlayer works ok through that.

If you have the following (Not necessarily next to FF in the list ) then I am guessing iPlayer should run ok... It does so here.
McAfee.jpg

Would have been easy to block the 'container' prog when flagged by McAfee, then just as easy to tick alert box for no further alerts on the prog.
Container not used until streaming via FF it certainly would be a new 'unknown' program at first run... One to inadvertently block perhaps?

-0-

Just turned off the Firewall but STILL not working empip!?!? That rules out the Firewall... yes? :confused:

Are you sure this isn't just due to server traffic when you use the player at peak times as I mentioned in my last post?

You have not mentioned Plugin Container for Firefox
So I must assume it appears in your firewall permissions as in my pix above.

Have you tried this plugin check page?
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

My results:-
ffagain.jpg

If all appears ok.
I am thinking export bookmarks - note saved passwords etc. Completely uninstall FF, delete folders from Program Files.
Remove references to FF and Plugin Container from the firewall permissions page.
Re-install FF, I'd still go with the latest version, we run it on XP home, Pro and Win7 with no problems - the only glitch was one firewall blocking the Container prog.
Import the exported / saved bookmarks.
Get the necessary plugins installed and be wary of alerts from the firewall.

We could just be flailing around with a broken FF installation, given iPlayer runs ok with IE

-0-

Hey Blas, I just checked the link to the mozilla page, there's a post today from mark pointing to plugin container for FF blocked by the firewall causing the issue.

Follow empip's instructions on re-installing FF, the plugin container will be a seperate item then Firefox in the firewall list. If you have windows firewall and McAfee firewall, you will need to ensure both allow the plugin container. I would recommend only using one firewall and disabling the other to avoid these types of issues.

Good luck.

Thanks your time guys.

Yeah the two are on the Firewall separately and 'Plugin Container' only had 'Outgoing' so I've switched that to FULL. There were a couple of Java programs listed as only 'Outgoing' so again I allowed them 'FULL' permission.. still no joy though!

So looks like a Firefox reinstall! Where do I export my favourites/bookmarks too though... IE? And how do I do that?

Thank you once again.

Bookmarks -> Organise Bookmarks.
Import and Backup -> Backup...

You can import them back in via the same menu.

As for history, preferences, etc. Then you'd be best backing up your entire profile. Though there's a risk of re-introducing the problem you're having at the moment. However I think we established earlier on in the thread that the problem was not solved by making a new profile.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/backing+up+your+information

Since this problem seems localised to Flash I would be inclined to perform a reinstall of Flash at the same time.

Troubleshoot Flash Player installation - Windows.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_Uninstall

Install / Updating Flash - Uninstall old versions - Do update for the currently active browser, installing / updating whilst in IE doesn't also install for FireFox nor vice versa.

Just Installed McAfee then AVG free followed by latest FF, Flash and Java into a clean VM (XPhome)... FF hosts iPlayer in a sound fashion without any changes to firewall or AVG.

Hope there is no site or cookie blocking going down !!
-0-

Sponsored Links
Back