Any recourse new build issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve a new build bellway home. Now out of initial warranty.

One of the issues we had “fixed” was one of the partition walls literally moved and wasn’t fixed down. This apparently was rectified- yes the wall no longer moved.

Roll on to now and I’m removing the carpet in the room and find that what they actually did was just wedge some filler pieces under the metal stud base plate and put some glue around it.

This has been causing squeaks and all sorts which is what I was going to tackle before the new carpet comes but I’m angry- mainly as they lied. But after so long is there anything that can be done or it’s just my problem.

Horrible these companies get away with it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
More than likely not, probably best to avoid a new build unless you can see it during construction. Fix it and move on with your life.

I’ve a new build bellway home. Now out of initial warranty.

One of the issues we had “fixed” was one of the partition walls literally moved and wasn’t fixed down. This apparently was rectified- yes the wall no longer moved.

Roll on to now and I’m removing the carpet in the room and find that what they actually did was just wedge some filler pieces under the metal stud base plate and put some glue around it.

This has been causing squeaks and all sorts which is what I was going to tackle before the new carpet comes but I’m angry- mainly as they lied. But after so long is there anything that can be done or it’s just my problem.

Horrible these companies get away with it
A few short angle brackets, let into the wall and floor will do. Fix them to the sole plate with self drilling screws. Use adhesive on the upright part of the bracket (metal-metal) also.

Jeysus.
That's awful.

However. The only way to do a job is properly.

I'd contact them again, warranty or not.

If you do decide to remedy it yourself, do it properly. Its just a std stud wall no? Find the substructure and screw it down properly or however it's supposed to be done.

Sponsored Links
was just wedge some filler pieces under the metal stud base plate and put some glue around it.
Believe it or not that is recommended by the NHBC as a solution to squeaky wall/floor joints.

That shows you just how shoite the NHBC "warranty" is when their advice is as above.

That shows you just how shoite the NHBC "warranty" is when their advice is as above.
No the NHBC warranty has never been for 'minor' items such as this, if anyone ever bothered to do any research into what an NHBC warranty really is they'd know.

Last edited:
If the NHBC classify an improperly secured wall as a minor item, then their warranty must be written on bog roll.....

If the NHBC classify an improperly secured wall as a minor item, then their warranty must be written on bog roll.....
It's a warranty that predominantly exists for the mortgage providers benefit, to protect their interests in the event of something major that affected the value. Sure housebuilders push it as some all singing all dancing thing but a few minutes on Google will tell you otherwise.

When you buy a car, you have protection that you don't have when buying a house. This is very wrong and needs to change. Many (not all) housebuilders continue to churn out shoddy boxes, often with major issues, without a care in the world, charging through the conk for them.

The whole system and relationship is screwed up.

'New build' homes ... the quality sh1ts through, oops sorry I meant shines through of course ;)

Sponsored Links
Back