Any thoughts on this extension roof design?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Getting an single storey extension done at the moment but first floor balcony is restricting the height of the lean to glass roof. I have attached a photo to show the balcony.

The latest designing thinking is to utilise the balcony as part of the roof so we have part roof part glass for the extension. Below is a list of key steps we are proposing to take and I have also illustrated these on the plan attached:

· We will add a new beam (Beam-7) to end of the balcony which will sit on the new party walls – highlighted in green

· Joists will be added to both sides of the balcony to create roof sections – highlighted in red

· Glass roof (highlighted in grey) will still be lean-to and will be sitting on Beam-6 and Beam-7

Appreciated if someone could go over it and share any thoughts they may have. Do you think Building Control will have problem with this design? If so how shall I tweak it?

Many thanks,
Leon

Attachments

• 7806CCE5-AA67-445A-B8AF-C1F72A1CC435.jpeg
    7806CCE5-AA67-445A-B8AF-C1F72A1CC435.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 121
  • F3943654-CC88-4ED2-8C30-55450362B0AC.jpeg
    F3943654-CC88-4ED2-8C30-55450362B0AC.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
The latest designing thinking
Lol. Halfway through the job think about the most important thing affecting it. :rolleyes:

Building control will accept anything that you can justify. They just check things.

You'll need thermal calculations for all the glass.

A reverse Leanto glazed section and a box gutter by the balcony.

or change the glazed section to an orangery style with a long glass lantern on a flat roof, that way internally the flat roof perimeter can be plastered and have downlighters, so you have more of an extension than conservatory

Sponsored Links
Lol. Halfway through the job think about the most important thing affecting it. :rolleyes:

Building control will accept anything that you can justify. They just check things.

You'll need thermal calculations for all the glass.
Lol I know but I wanted this design from the beginning but worried that building controls will object the idea of using balcony as roof.

SAP calculations were done and BC approved.

A reverse Leanto glazed section and a box gutter by the balcony.

or change the glazed section to an orangery style with a long glass lantern on a flat roof, that way internally the flat roof perimeter can be plastered and have downlighters, so you have more of an extension than conservatory
Thanks for the suggestions and I’d look at a reverse lean to as option 2. We’d like the lean to glass roof to bring in more light but yes downside is less downlighters…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back