Any tips for getting the pin up on TRVs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a plumber round yesterday to check a boiler problem that has miraculously fixed itself by the time the plumber got here, but while he was checking it, he mentioned that the radiator in the room that the boiler is in isn't very hot, and I did mention that it doesn't seem to get as hot as it used to, he fiddled with the lockshield and the TRV and turned out the pink is stuck down in the TRV, he couldn't release it but because the radiator was still getting warm I said I'd probably get it fixed after Xmas. However, since he fiddled with it I am now getting no heat whatsoever in that radiator, both pipes at either end of the radiator are stone cold. I have checked the lockshield is fully open, which it is and have tried to get the pin up myself with some WD 40 and trying to prise it up with a pair of pliers but it won't budge. Any tips on how to budge it?

Sponsored Links
Remove the TRV head by unscrewing the large plastic ring near the valve. Either coax the pin up with a pair of needle pliers or tap it with a hammer. Don't worry about tapping it, it won't pop off and flood the room!

Or as posted above, fit a new TRV but this will involve draining down your system.

:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back