Anybody had experience of Sunpipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This query may be in the wrong forum - maybe it should be in Roofing and Guttering or perhaps Building.

Has anybody seen these new light providers manufactured by a company called Sunpipe? A hole is cut into the roof of the property, be it a pitched or flat roof and a polycarbonate dome is fixed here. A tube acting as a conduit for the light is secured between the roof and the ceiling, the light entering the room via a diffuser fixed to the ceiling.

The idea is best looked at on www.sunpipe.co.uk

Any views appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
ive seen them on tv

the program was grand designs ch 4
also on ch 3 on that program where couples built a house
also on another program i cant remember

they were all extemely impressed with the effect[very bright light]

they all called them sun pipes but whether they were all by that
manufacturer or just using the term sun pipe as a descriptive
term i dont know

big all

i too have seen them on tv, i think they are novel, but not sure if cost is worth while (thats only becasue i don't know how much they cost)

My folks have had a quotation of around £1,400 for two of these items. It seems pretty expensive I suppose, but then if you are able to bring a substantial amount of light to what are relatively dark rooms then perhaps it is worth considering.

They are in a bungalow and I guess this is where such a set up could be beneficial. In a house you would usually be prevented from providing the light to a downstairs room 'cos you would have a shaft in an upstairs room.

Sponsored Links
i would suggest you consider the pros and cons of £700 each for more light, also more quotes if possible (i doubt it though)

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, just for more light (that wont work at night) to me £700 i would have an electric lamp

A friend of mine has got one and they are very good but the cost is high.

I put a extension across the back of my bungalow leaving with the bathroom in the centre of the property with no window . I got fed up with fan-light with no ventilation, I did think about the sunpipe but found it cheaper to put in a electric velux window and boxed it in from the ceiling level to the pitch roof.

Yes, we had two installed in our last home. It was a Barret home with an internal bathroom with no window and an upper landing that was above the level of the hall window and so was very dull. Both were a bit grim along with the pretty grotty spec of bathroom standard fittings.

It is right that it was about £1500 for two which were 45mm diameter I think. I did think about a Velux window which would have had to sit at the top of a boxed in 4 or 5 foot shaft which would penetrate the bathroom and landing ceilings and go up into the roof space between the rafters - not much space for that type of thing.

I think the Sunpipe was neater for the following reasons: you effectively get a round frosted glass lens on the ceiling, looks a bit like one of those enclosed glass light shades like people often have in kitchens, only neater, and no other disturbance in the room. The two pipes were located only about two or three feet apart either side of the bathroom / landing stud wall, the pipes went up to each side of the sloping roof at approx 45 degree angle so they met their respective side of the roof at a right angle. They are probably brighter than a similarly sized velux (would you have a velux only 45cm square? probably not) since they have a lens on the outside of the roof which collects better than just a flat sheet of glass, and the shaft or tube is mirrored on the inside, a bit like a thermos flask. In fact the thing works more like a big fibre optic. I have to say that the tube in the hall way which was connected to the south facing roof slope was very bright most of the time, amazingly so on a sunny day. The bathroom pipe's lens faced north but still totally removed the need to use the electric light and made the bathroom very well lit. Believe it or not, I even used that loo at night a few times without the light on because enough moonlight was coming in to see by (you know how adjusted to the dark your eyes are when you wake up) whereas previously it had been totally black in that room. They are also very well insulated with no discernable change in temperature to the room. I quite liked the look of the little pointy domes on the roof too.

I believe you can buy more expensive types which can include a light (if you want to delete the light fitting out of the room altogether and tuck it in the pipe - can't really see the point unless new build) and you can have an extractor fan in it too. You can also have a blind that clips on to it to block out the light.

Yes it was quite expensive, but I'd say for a room with no windows it improves things so much that it gets well into that area which we all are really seeking in DIY projects: improved quality of life!

I am not a salesman for them by the way...

One final thing - we had a leak, which we were convinced must come from one of these pipes, the company that fitted sent someone to investigate and he could find nothing. I had thought it a bit odd that the leak didn't seem to occur despite heavy rain, but then would appear almost randomly. Turned out that while the guys who fitted had done a perfect job, while in the roof space they'd accidentally knocked one of the ducts leading from the extractor in the ensuite next door and steam being extracted was condensing and dripping out of the dislodged ducting on to the ceiling above... the guy who came to look at it fixed it for us with a shoelace!

The company we used was Monodraught - they were very professional and I know that they have a high reputation among professional construction industry specifiers so are unlikely to muck you around.

I'm quite disappointed that in our new house there isn't anywhere to have one! :)

Thing said:
I'm quite disappointed that in our new house there isn't anywhere to have one! :)

can you not block up a window so you can have one :LOL:

Thanks for the info,

The only problem I've found with the Sunpipe was no proper ventilation, I know you can have a built-in fan to take the condensation & smell away but no real fresh air coming inward.

Also I prefer to be looking out the Velux window as well because I think it feel funny going into the room with no windows, just my opinion. Well I have put in a dummy window made out of MDF with curtain on the wall :rolleyes:

i know it was a film, but they did similar to that (dummy window) in a film, idea to give place proper feel.

Its amazing what we as humans think about if something feels right (or wrong) , so with dummy window it adds to the "feel"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back