Roof options for covering passageway (with limited daylight)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for options for covering a service passageway that runs between house and our neighbours - it is a dead end. Passageway is currently open (no roof) so rain can get in but there is little light /ventilation to dry it out.

Passage is:
  • 3.7m long
  • 1.3m wide
  • Surrounded on both sides and one end by 2-storey buildings
  • Open to light at one end
Max height at closed end is 4.1m
Min height at open end is 2.85m

Rain water drain at CLOSED end of passage - DOH!! Drain currently services two small areas of the house roof and the uncovered passageway (that I'm describing)

Passage is service access for roof, guttering so would be good to be able to stand on/work on roof.

Passageway has two room windows facing into so want to maximise light (one window on closed end, other on one side)

Property is Victorian but passage is tucked out the way so limited restrictions on appearance.

Roof options?

Had considered a pitched tiled roof with Velux style windows (Longer lasting, pitch increases daylight, opening windows for ventilation, awkward to work from?, limited daylight due construction?)

Flat roof with roof light (good to stand on but limits daylight as not sloping)

Polycarbonate pitch roof (ideal quick fix as allows light, no need to dress underside but no service access). Seems to be a long span (3.7m) as most polycarbonate sheets seem shorter?)

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Two things:
  1. Keep the water out (as there have been issues in the past)
  2. Create a useful storage place with the option of having a sink area (ideal for cleaning after gardening, etc).
My main concerns are:
  1. Maximising natural light (for the two rooms that have windows facing into the passageway)
  2. Access to the main house guttering, roof should this need maintenance in the future. Obviously the passageway is currently open so easy to access via a ladder.
Cost is a factor bit I would prefer to pay more for a better/longer term solution.

At my previous property, we covered a passageway with a polycarbonate flat roof. The pitch rain from one side (the house) to the other side (single storey flat-roof garage)

Sounds as if you're planning the pitch to be along the corridor rather than across it? Guttering is tricky on an enclosed space like that, best bet would be a lead (or grp) trough weathered to the walls for the roof to drain to.
Have you looked at fibreglass roof sheets? They're stronger than poly (still best to use a board if standing on them) and translucent.
Is there access from above (bedroom window?) to the roof, you'll need it to fit the sheets and do the flashing

Sponsored Links
Sorry - yes, assumed the roof if pitched would run along the corridor (from house at one end to garden at other). Frustrating thing is that the drain is at the house end of the passageway. I like water to travel the shortest distance and I'm potentially sending it 3 metres along a roof to bring it 3 metres back to the current drain position (albeit that bit could/would be via an underground pipe)

I had considered a trough so I'll google "grp" as I'm not sure what that is.

I'll look at the fibre glass roof sheets too.

There is a bedroom window above the passage area. Like you say, access for installation is also a consideration. Flat roof seems the best option for that as the roof window(s) holes/upstairs would provide access to the roof.

Is there such a thing as a pitched rooflight/window for a flat roof?

I've seen some flat roofs with domes? I assume they are intended to increase/maximise light? They look futuristic but are they any good???

You could have a lean to, which falls widthways -the 1.3m measurement.

either use polycarbonate or glass (glass is quieter).

it just needs a load of rafters, wall plate and a box gutter, that could discharge at either end of roof.

Do you have any downpipes on the front of the house -you could Y into one.

No accessible drain/downpipes at front of house (only at closed end of passage)

Lean to works but doesn't allow for easy access to the surrounding house walls, guttering, roof. That said - been in house 6-years and only needed access when we had the main roof done but access handy for clearing guttering, etc. Windows are UPVC sash so can pivot them for cleaning.

Could place a scaffold plank across it (bottom of pitch) and rest ladder on it. Awkward for accessing wall at end of passage.

Lean-to roof best for light but worst for maintenace access?

Flat roof seems best option for allowing access to surrounding walls but worst option for light.

You can get domed rooflights for flat rooves but they're pricey and look a bit naff. To get daylight into your windows you need the roof to allow light through at the angles where sunlight would hit the windows, in your canyon thats probably not all day.
Glass roof could be rather nice done as a leanto.
Its good that you're thinking about maintenance access but don't compromise 364 days for the 1 day you need access.
Before you build, have a good look at the gutters, fascias etc. Replace any that looks worn, repaint or replace timber fascias as required, clean the gutters out. Bit of luck you won't need to touch them for 20 years. Leanto will be easier to build & look better from above

No accessible drain/downpipes at front of house (only at closed end of passage)

Lean to works but doesn't allow for easy access to the surrounding house walls, guttering, roof. That said - been in house 6-years and only needed access when we had the main roof done but access handy for clearing guttering, etc. Windows are UPVC sash so can pivot them for cleaning.

Could place a scaffold plank across it (bottom of pitch) and rest ladder on it. Awkward for accessing wall at end of passage.

Lean-to roof best for light but worst for maintenace access?

Flat roof seems best option for allowing access to surrounding walls but worst option for light.

The walls are only 1.3m apart, it would be easy to screw a length of 2x2 to each side level with each other then slide on a board of ply. With a bit of forethought I'm sure something like that could be made neat and quick to use.

I'd considered trying to add/incorporate some sort of joists hangers so that we could do similar to what you described for. Access is hopefully required little and not very often but I'll guarantee it will be needed sooner than later if I do not provision for it - something about s o day's law!

So you want an ideally transparent roof, going from your house to the dividing wall/fence between your neighbour? Still retain access for the odd occasion that gutters or soffits need looking at?

I would have thought that a simple lean-too would be easy? You can insert pop open flaps/vents in the twinwall sheeting . My conservatory is timber/ lean -too/ polycarbonate roof in aluminium glazing bars/ central hinged flap more for ventilation but person sized.

Most polycarbonate roofs are ok if you spread the load. You could fix a couple of metal brackets to the walls before you roof. These would allow scaff planks to sit above the polycarbonate and hook onto the metal.

Years ago when I was a kid, the neighbous did something similar but more hardcore. They had a 6foot plus wall between us and them, and had a glass roof, Georgian wired the stuff. From memory, in the 15 years I lived there, they didn't need access through the roof. Polycarbonate lasts about 10 years trouble free so you could plan maintanence around replacing the polycarbonate?

The part of the boundary that I would connect to is the neighbours house (not garden) wall.

Is your neighbour going to be OK with you attaching to their house?

Yes - they're equally keen to keep the damp out - its caused their property problems in the past.

just a thought
do you have any gas appliances/bathrooms or kitchen vents drawing air or exhausting fumes into this area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back