Roof options for covering passageway (with limited daylight)

No vents, etc. Only one of the windows is opening and we have plenty ventilation in that room.

Sponsored Links
If the gap is 2.6 M then you could build by bolting a rail to both houses, and make a butterfly roof.

Or build a roof that slopes from the house towards the back. Polycarbonate is available in 6m lengths, with glazing bars to match.
Fit a gutter towards the garden, routing it to a drain or water butt. If too much water is generated, connect another butt or a leaky hose

Thinking of a longer term solution, I'd considered a tiled pitch roof with some large "velux" type windows.

If my passage way is 1.3m - what is the widest "velux" that I could have?

I'm assuming there are two bits of flashing to consider each side of the window (one from house, one from window flashing each side so maybe 9-12 inches lost on each side??

Polycarbonate would surely offer a great surface area for light (with just the width of three rails losts).

Once you go for a tiled roof, you might as well join up with your neighbour and build it so that either now or later, it can be filled in?

I don't know enough about PD or regs

Sponsored Links
SK10 Velux would be 114cmx160cm and you could take the sash out to gain access to your main roof.

114cm wide? The passage is 130cm wide so that leaves 16cm (8cm each side).

Is that too narrow consider the window-to-roof and roof-to-wall flashing? Also there would be the timber-work for the roof to consider.

No. Got to different builders and someone that I use for windows etc. Trouble is they're all saying it's a job for the other(s)!! Case of I need to better understand what I want!!!

Maybe look at carport designs?
Some may have an option of hatches.

But as I have said, you can mitigate against this by doing repairs before building the cover, and possibly fixing some kind of bracket to the house wall for a platform in advance.

Since covid/ the smoking ban, plenty of pubs and restaurants have covered structures.
We've discussed similar at work and there's actually a quite attractive bike shelter close by that's a galvanised bolt together structure with timber cladding -so think out of the box.

If you go for a glass/see through roof that's not going to allow walking on it - how about putting some joists just above it screwed into the walls with the occasional scaffold bar across them so you can put planks on when you need maintenance access?

If you go for a glass/see through roof that's not going to allow walking on it - how about putting some joists just above it screwed into the walls with the occasional scaffold bar across them so you can put planks on when you need maintenance access?
yeah thats what I was thinking of.

I have seen that done (well - just the scaffold bars direct into brickwork) for that reason.

You could do all sorts. The building that I worked in had catwalks over the flat roof to access the various plant that was on the roof. You could build your structure out of key clamp and include a safe route but it's a lot of effort for a once in a decade need

SK10 Velux would be 114cmx160cm and you could take the sash out to gain access to your main roof.
114cm wide? The passage is 130cm wide so that leaves 16cm (8cm each side).

Is that too narrow consider the window-to-roof and roof-to-wall flashing? Also there would be the timber-work for the roof to consider.

I can't even begin to imagine the pain and suffering trying to fit such a large heavy Velux into such a confined space.:(

Bonkers.

I can't even begin to imagine the pain and suffering trying to fit such a large heavy Velux into such a confined space.:(

Bonkers.

Perfect! People's guidance based on knowledge helps thin out the options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back