Anyone converted....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a manual recliner chair to an electric one?

Whats involved and whats an approximate cost?

Sponsored Links

000_was1126426.si.jpg

Sponsored Links

We have an electric double reclining sofa. I would make a guess that the motors and mechanicals will well outlast the upholstery so rather than a manual chair as a starting point, better would be a scrap electric recliner.

I imagine the physical layout of a manual recliner, will be very different to an electric one.

A manual recliner is all sprung loaded with high tension springs.

An electric chair will be based on a single lever and an array of machanisms.

It would be an awful lot of time and money, for something that may never actually work. You would be better off starting from scratch.

Or just buy an electric recliner as already suggested

Thanks guys. We did consider an electric one at the time of buying, about 4 years ago, but as my wifes disability wasn't too severe at that time we chose manual operated chair and sofa.
It's still in excellent condition but her condition is deteriorating and she finds it hard to push down the footrest these days. Might try and contact the manufacturers direct and see if they can help.
Once again, thanks for the replies.

I have not done any conversion but I have provided my MIL with 2 electric chairs and looked at several.
they seem to have the same common unit inside of them so perhaps you can find an old on on Freecycle/Freegle etc.
then use the unit and it's fittings to do what you want?

My wife has been making enquiries and pricing up conversion kits. To 'try' and convert it ourselves would cost at least £750 for the kits and then plus more for the hand controllers. Depending on what model controller works with what kit is beyond her, (and she is very intelligent when it comes to understanding technical things), and even the people she spoke to on the phone couldn't guarantee it would work with a particular conversion kit. Two of them also pointed out, as did sxturbo and Harry, that the construction of a mechanical is quite different to an electric version and may present it's own complications.
So, the outcome when I come home was we have sat down and, because DFS have a sale on this week, (lucky to spot that bit of information! :whistle: :LOL::LOL:), we have decided to go for a new fully electrified settee and chair for just over £2k Step daughter will have our current suite and so she has the problem of getting shut of her old one.
Thanks for the feed back guys.

Freegle, Freecycle, Facebook free sites will help with disposal of the old one, assuming that it is still worth using.

The old one is still in perfect condition. We are going to give it to my step daughter but if she doesn't want it we will try to sell it and, if that doesn't work, DFS will uplift it from us for £90 Think I may offer it to a charity warehouse before I do that though.
New one is now on order and delivery expected within 16 weeks as they are made to order so plenty of time to think about disposing of the present one.

DFS will uplift it from us for £90 Think I may offer it to a charity warehouse before I do that though.

Your local council's large items special collection will be a much cheaper way to dispose of it, around hear they charge about £20 for a maximum of three large items.

Charity will normally collect if it has the fire retardant labels on. DFS are busy making mine at the moment been 18 weeks so far and now due in another 2 weeks.

If it's in good nick and up to current standard you could try a care home. They need a variety of assistive chairs.
My mother, as you describe, had a sprung one whch was ok for a while but then it would have needed to be electric. That would have been quite a short period though, she needs help to get up at all now.
(She was struggling at home then due to something else had to go into hospital. They deem she needs 24/7 care, so she's in there with nowhere for her to go....)

My dog walk takes me past a care home, it amazes me how often electric reclining chairs are put outside for the rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Back