Anyone explain these cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi found these buried behind plasterboard when I was moving my light switch. They are old timeclock cables from when there was a back boiler,pump and the council took it out and fitted a combi years ago FF935091-277E-4CFC-9C60-5ED34AA796AC.jpegD22BFCF6-ECF6-4174-80F7-04B47DB1294F.jpeg, if I can’t find them up in the attic to put in a jb which is just above how can I make them safe ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well tested across neutral and live and nothing, anything else to test before I put them back behind the plasterboard?
Thanks

although atm my lights are off so will retest again later

And update lighting power back on and I get 240 on the terminal block with the 2&e connected. This was connected up to the time clock around 20 years back and was disconnected when the council upgraded to a combi. Would it be wired off the lighting circuit at that time ?
Thanks

Shouldn't be, but it may be off its own 6A breaker.

Often run off a fused connection unit via a ring final circuit.

And update lighting power back on and I get 240 on the terminal block with the 2&e connected. This was connected up to the time clock around 20 years back and was disconnected when the council upgraded to a combi. Would it be wired off the lighting circuit at that time ?
Thanks

It may well be nothing at all to do with your heating system, rather it was a timeclock for outside lighting or similar. Another test you might try to give more clues, is parting the T&E which become live (isolate first), put both T&E's into separate connectors, power the circuit back up - then see if any lights or etc. no longer work in the house.

EDIT - It might also be worth your while to work out (with your volt stick) which of the two T&E's is the feed and mark it up for future reference.

Last edited:
The t&e that is on its own is the only one with power and it’s a 2 bed ex council flat and have confirmed that this was where the ch time clock was but don’t know much more. I will try the breakers at the board as I have I think 5 on the lights and see the results

The t&e that is on its own is the only one with power

That, might have been a wall light or similar, with it's own switch and connected to the lighting circuit - as it seems to come out of a separate hole in the plasterboard?

Update all my power back on and it’s on a b6 breaker but tests with 4v and the rest of the lights seem to work 24349D22-A369-4073-8339-E9D1F5E32DB7.jpeg always wondered why so many breakers for 7 rooms. So tape over breaker and how would you terminate the connectors if they are going behind plasterboard?
Thanks

Last edited:
I am not an electrician.

I would probably shove them back there, after moving to a junction box, if I couldn't work out how to terminate them somewhere else that's accessible.
I would also ponder a maintenance free junction box and wago connectors, but, end up not.

Don't listen to me though.

Hi found these buried behind plasterboard when I was moving my light switch. They are old timeclock cables from when there was a back boiler,pump and the council took it out and fitted a combi years ago View attachment 236056View attachment 236057, if I can’t find them up in the attic to put in a jb which is just above how can I make them safe ?
Thanks
To me they look like classic heating cabling, Live feed on the left and control side on the right. Have you tried to trace to see where they go yet and do they feel like they are loose in the wall and may pull out?

To me they look like classic heating cabling, Live feed on the left and control side on the right. Have you tried to trace to see where they go yet and do they feel like they are loose in the wall and may pull out?
That’s what I was hoping for an old school wiring explanation only ever went to time clock they go up the wall but I can’t see them above the attic is floored and I can only get an arms length in under the floor from the eves of the attic so they must come up and run in the opposite direction and where they come up is right in the middle of a radiator but will keep looking for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back