Anyone for flatpack?

It's one thing to get into IKriA, but why the flipping heck do you have to follow the "yellow brick road" all round the building when you've found what you went in for and decided you don't want it.

I heard the stabbing was some pillock trying to return some cutlery!

Sponsored Links
planenut said:
why the flipping heck do you have to follow the "yellow brick road" all round the building when you've found what you went in for and decided you don't want it.
Yep - that's the real pita, and the bit that really scares me. You get taken for a long, winding wander through a cluttered warehouse full of little rooms with no windows and lots of obstructive people. Really bad for claustrophobics. Are those places really fire-safe?

Have you ever tried going back the wrong way when you have missed something? It's not the done thing.

And another point, there's never enough glue to put the shelves together. :confused:

to be boring = I think Ikea furniture is great value for money. Compared to the likes of flat pack MFI of years ago, Ikea have made huge strides forward with their innovative ways of putting stuff together. Gone are the days of opening the box and realising that whats in there and how it goes together is total c***. Brilliant value for money and alot of it is well made and very well designed. Ikea have shown how to make and market good cheap furniture.

No wonder Courts went bust............

Sponsored Links
I do have some Ikea stuff but most of my furniture is from Argos. If I'm feeling a bit spendy I like buying cushions or other nice stuff from Habitat.

Sorry, Adam. In my hunger-induced delirium, I thought it said "FLAPJACK"...... :oops:

I have some IKriA bookshelves because they were the only ones (wood colour and thickness) to incorporate in my lounge project, they do the job. Alas what would have been ideal was a desk top or worktop of similar colour to use too.

I have used quite a lot of Argos flat-pack and one day there was a top for a chest of drawers that had a straight scratch which I could not make disappear. I phoned them up and two days later a replacement came by courier, that was pretty good.

I have now got cut straights from each of their Allen keys in my attachment box for putting in my cordless drill/driver, saves a lot of sores in the hands.

I like IKEA stuff. I have noticed it is something that a lot of people love and a lot of people hate, not much of a middle ground.

Just thinking about what Eddie said earlier about saving up for solid wood furniture. I knew someone who followed that philosophy. They had some great furniture, solid teak, incredibly hard-wearing. It was so hard wearing that they had bought it in the early 1970s and it was still going strong in 2000. Which meant that their whole living room looked very 1970s.

But, you hardly go and throw out some expensive solid hardwood furniture just because it looks dated. So, you are stuck with it! IKEA stuff isn't so expensive that you will never replace it. We all like a change eventually. IKEA stuff stays put together, it is good quality. But, you can afford to replace it when you get a new house or just want to give the whole place a new look.

Richardp said:
I had a swedish girlfriend once ..phew!

I've never met a blond swede. Plenty of dark-haired swedes, even a bald swede. But never a blond swede.

....try with sweet chilli sauce and butter..
OK it's confession time. I really hate, indeed fear, the stores. But my daughter kitted out her flat for next to nothing in IKEA and it was all sound stuff.
More than that, I have probably eaten in every IKEA store up and down the country east coast and west. Always near the motorway. Always better value than any M-way stop (Bleugghh).

Hang on a bit! did you say eat in it? Well that proves what i've been missing there, I knew there had to be a good reason to spend time there. I really didn't know they have a place to eat.
I suppose it's sensible after spending so much time in the store.
Well blow me.................

More than that, I have probably eaten in every IKEA store up and down the country east coast and west. Always near the motorway. Always better value than any M-way stop (Bleugghh).
Me too!

Another trick, when you're working away from home, staying in B&B, it's worth checking out the local hospital staff restaurant. Some of these are excellent. If you wear a shirt (with a couple of pens sticking out of the pocket) and tie (but no jacket), you're rarely asked for ID.

If you really want to be cheaky, you can ask the girl on the till if the hospital has a social club. Bluff your way into that, and you could be setup with cheap drinks as well :D

Sponsored Links
Back