Anyone help with a Potterton Profile Prima 80e?

Yes Tony we are aware that the case seal is leaking and it is being dealt with. I dont get your point either in normal or bold type. My request for help was because I was told it was a good possibility that I need a new boiler. The leak was never an issue and a new seal was ordered but it seems that the question of if its a positive or negative pressure case is an issue with not only you professionals but also the makers technical department and I think that deserves bold type dont you?

Sponsored Links
You have missed my two points!

Your boiler is probably negative pressure because it sucks air in and Guru says it is and he is rarely wrong!

I dont need to "know" in my head because I can see immediately if I am in front of the boiler.

Thats not the point though!

You only need a new boiler if yours cannot be repaired for any reason. Most parts are still available although perhas some flue parts may not be.

If the case seal is leaking
then under the rules we have to work to then your boiler is classed as immediately dangerous and it should be switched off.

Of course as a negative pressure unit there is little real danger, but thats the rule we should work to and we would criticised by CORGI if we did not. Many of us would exercise discretion if we fully understand the situation however the rules are written to ensure safety bearing in mind that there are still many who cannot recognise a positive pressure boiler when they see them!

Tony

Only Positive case seal boilers with leaking case seals are Immediately Dangerous.
Negative case seal boilers like this one, with leaking case seals not affecting the burner are Not to Current Standards.
Baxi/Potterton's technical department is Not Fit For Purpose!

Thankyou Tony for your confidence ;)

For the OP, Potterton originally had the Netaheat positive pressure boilers. That range were replaced by the Netaheat Profile (different casing but of similar design) and again a positive pressure case. After a while the Netaheat name was dropped leaving just the Profile. The Profile Prima was then launched but now with a negative pressure fan flue. Then the Profile part of the name was dropped and the Prima now offering the flue as balanced, open or fan assisted. It seems to me that boiler marketing departments like to confuse everyone with their product names. But incompetance and confusion are all part and parcel of the heating industry. :)

All boilers are allowed a specified maximum leakage rate when they are initially designed, however many gas installers fail to understand that fact and expect the casing seal to be perfect (which may be unachievable even with new casing seals)....a certain judgement is required. Constant bulletins by corgi and others have probably overstated the casing seal issue to the point of making some installers paranoid. On the other hand, this week I found a fraudulant LGSR with both the thermostat capillary and T/C trapped in the case seal and the single lower fixing screw absent. Needless to say I have had to change very few seals on Potterton positive pressure boilers and none on the Prima. Often just a little copperease on the casing screws will allow the case to be pulled sufficiently tight to reduce leakage.

Negative presssue boilers are inherently far safer and even significant leakage would be unlikely to render them dangerous. In fact the Glowworm Micron had an "enhancement" to remove part of the casing seal to prevent reasonance occuring ie allowing limited leakage into the casing from the room side.

In an ideal world the assessment centers would set up a boiler whereby maximum permitted leakage rates could be simulated and installers check with the smoke pen.

Far more worying is the crop of Band A boilers....the importance of flue and air/gas sealing has largely been overlooked despite this being a step backwards in so far as safety.

Sponsored Links
Final comment.
Baxi's enginneer arrived yesterday morning fitted the new seal didnt check the seal worked because he has never done a test like that on a negative pressure boiler and turned it on again.
Thanks to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back