Anyone notice the problem here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think of this? Purchased from Plumbworld in Evesham.
It's the underside of the bath.

20211117_130102.jpg

The next question is, what can I do about it to save me having to replace the bath?
The problem is that the waste doesn't sit properly and slopes downward. Yes, I could fit a flexi pipe and yes, I could make a new, lower hole in the wall I guess.
Not impressed.
Any other possible solutions?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the waste sits ok on topside and is water tight to underside of the bath ,what exactly are you worried about ?

If the waste sits ok on topside and is water tight to underside of the bath ,what exactly are you worried about ?
Well that's my concern. I've haven't installed the waste yet and so haven't tested it. In doing so, I've come across this issue. As my reply above, it'll mean lowering the outlet through the wall and, having to use a flexi pipe as the waste does not sit horizontally. It's pretty tight to the floor and other pipes as it is.

Sponsored Links
Assemble it all ,trial fit dry, and show us some pics of the overall set up below the bath , including trap and pipework so we can judge better please.

"If the waste sits ok on topside" - That's the important bit, how does it look from inside the bath?? Dry fit the waste and take a pic of that cause by all indications it's going to be lopsided.

Going by that the waste should be lopsided on the inside?? If by some miracle it isn't then the offset of the trap could be taken up by the compression connection and clever joining of the waste run I would think.

Dry fit it with just the waste and then trap and post a few pics, especially directly down onto the waste hole on the inside, don't connect it to the pipework.

Dry fit it with just the waste and then trap and post a few pics, especially directly down onto the waste hole on the inside, don't connect it to the pipework.
Ah, ok. It'll have to be tomorrow though. I'm not at the house at the mo.

If the top of the bath is horizontal then you have a reject unit. Send it back as it's not fit for purpose.

I bought an Ideal Standard bath about 10 years ago, which had the same problem with the tap holes. The fibreglass was much thicker on one side of the hole than the other, so there was no way that standard washers would have sealed.

A few minutes with a sanding disc on an angle grinder fixed the problem. I sent a letter of complaint to Ideal Standard with photos, but they never acknowledged receipt of it...

I also had a similar problem to you with the waste on a resin shower tray (unknown brand). For that one, I manufactured a "sloping" sealing washer out of silicone, using a couple of clingfilm-covered pieces of board and a few wedges. That worked very well - no problems so far after many years in use.

So I suspect many baths / shower trays have this problem, and the manufacturers don't give a toss?

I bought an Ideal Standard bath about 10 years ago, which had the same problem with the tap holes. The fibreglass was much thicker on one side of the hole than the other, so there was no way that standard washers would have sealed.

A few minutes with a sanding disc on an angle grinder fixed the problem. I sent a letter of complaint to Ideal Standard with photos, but they never acknowledged receipt of it...
Mmm. Interesting. Than you for the tip. I'll have a look later and see that's a possible solution. Thanks for that. Will save me having to remove the bath at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back