Anyone notice the problem here?

Mmm. Interesting. Than you for the tip. I'll have a look later and see that's a possible solution. Thanks for that. Will save me having to remove the bath at least.
I edited my reply to include another example too.

Sponsored Links
I bought an Ideal Standard bath about 10 years ago, which had the same problem with the tap holes. The fibreglass was much thicker on one side of the hole than the other, so there was no way that standard washers would have sealed.

A few minutes with a sanding disc on an angle grinder fixed the problem. I sent a letter of complaint to Ideal Standard with photos, but they never acknowledged receipt of it...

I also had a similar problem to you with the waste on a resin shower tray (unknown brand). For that one, I manufactured a "sloping" sealing washer out of silicone, using a couple of clingfilm-covered pieces of board and a few wedges. That worked very well - no problems so far after many years in use.

So I suspect many baths / shower trays have this problem, and the manufacturers don't give a toss?
That sounds like an option. Not keen at the mo as I foresee issues later (it's a tenanted property and I know what'll happen, they won't tell me that the floor is flooded for years).

That's a very narrow bath if you're spanning it with a 40cm level. I assume, therefore, that you're using the level with artistic licence.
Eh?
No it's not spanning the bath.
The mis-shapedness of the hole is running from end to end which is why I've placed the level end to end-ways both below and on the top.

Sponsored Links
It's a clear choice for you. There is a manufacturing defect. The manufacturer's small print will discount any claims after the bath has been fitted (you will be deemed to have accepted it by fitting it). You don't want to have to remove it, perhaps because decorative tiling has been done, etc., but the manufacturer will not entertain anything but a replacement if you're lucky.
So you're stuck with it.
Rip it out and replace it, or do your best to repair it at your own expense on site.

Well I'm pleased to say that I have resolved the issue. Panic over.
Thanks though everyone for your thoughts and comments.
20211119_101307.jpg

Oh .... ermm ... weeeeellllllll .... not sure if you have sorted the problem there rather stored some up for the future. Over time that flexi will sag with the weight of the hot water, that'll then slow the draining and possibly cause a blockage.

By the looks of it, that could easily have been turned through 90 deg and hard piped/solvent welded.

Oh .... ermm ... weeeeellllllll .... not sure if you have sorted the problem there rather stored some up for the future. Over time that flexi will sag with the weight of the hot water, that'll then slow the draining and possibly cause a blockage.

By the looks of it, that could easily have been turned through 90 deg and hard piped/solvent welded.
That was the problem. With the outlet from the bath at the angle it is, when tightened the pipe pointed downwards. It was about half an inch lower than the pipe passing through the wall. The only choice then would have been to recut the hole and lower the whole fall.

Good point made about the flexi sagging over time. I hadn't considered that. I'll rig up some form of support along it's length.

The problem is that you are just like all the other typical landlords.

When it goes wrong and the flexi drops and blocks, you will get a plumber in. He will point out the problem and all you will say is that's how the 'other Plumber' done it. Not telling him that it was done by yourself. Thus giving Plumber's a bad name!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back