Anyone tried to repair a tool out of warranty ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a laser measurement tool from Bosch that I absolutely love. Sometimes it works sometimes it just doesn't want to switch on. Took a while to get an answer from Bosch repair centre, they don't have a fixed price repair for it and have offered a 10% discount towards the cost of a new one. Being the stubborn person that I am I'm still considering where I might be able to get the tool fixed, or whether I can say something to them to try and get them to do it. I also want to avoid having to get the jist of a new tool as I know this one back to front. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
If it's getting un useable then you will have nothing to lose in attempting a repair, possibly a dry joint? Not tools but I have repaired a car alarm control box, new one £500+, repair about 90p for a capacitor, also repaired Micron bite alarms, also needed a joint soldering.

I can solder but just basic stuff. I really wouldn't know what I'd be looking at if I opened the thing up .I successfully repaired a toothbrush once by replacing the battery with one I bought off eBay, solderd it back on, but the cheaper ones are made in such a way that you end up destroying the thing just to get at the part you want. You say you've done it before, would you have a look at it if I sent it to you ? I wouldn't expect you to do it for nothing of course. If no, I can post up photos what I find inside to get and get some help that way.

Ive repaired quite a bit of electronic equipment, apart from dry joints and as mentioned ,blown capacitors, most of the faults were caused from corrosion shorting between tracks on the pcb ...sometimes spreading from battery terminals.

Sponsored Links
Ive repaired quite a bit of electronic equipment, apart from dry joints and as mentioned ,blown capacitors, most of the faults were caused from corrosion shorting between tracks on the pcb ...sometimes spreading from battery terminals.

Sounds like the problem. It was left in a damp storage area for a few months and I noticed some rusting up where the batteries sit. If I recall one of the batteries was leaking acid. It did work for a time after that but not properly and has slowly degraded since to now barely working at all. If it does switch on though it works a charm. I'll post some photos up at the weekend if I get a chance to open it up.

How old is it?

Would you say it's had a hard life or is it in good condition? Well looked after? Has it been used daily in a construction environment or only here and there at home?

If I could ask it I'm sure it would tell me ...

If I could ask it I'm sure it would tell me ...

Well start thinking.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...ne-wrong-with-a-purchase/return-faulty-goods/

If something’s gone wrong with an item you’ve bought, you may be entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.

It doesn't matter whether you bought the item new or secondhand - you'll still have rights.

You’ll have legal rights if the item you bought is:

• broken or damaged ('not of satisfactory quality')
  • unusable (‘not fit for purpose’)
  • not what was advertised or doesn’t match the seller’s description

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...purchase/claim-using-a-warranty-or-guarantee/

Consider using your legal rights instead
It may be easier to get your money back, a repair or replacement without using your warranty or guarantee.

Find out if it’s easier to use your legal rights on faulty goods instead. It’s usually easier within the first 6 months. You have legal rights for up to 6 years (5 years in Scotland) if there’s a fault.

I can solder but just basic stuff. I really wouldn't know what I'd be looking at if I opened the thing up .I successfully repaired a toothbrush once by replacing the battery with one I bought off eBay, solderd it back on, but the cheaper ones are made in such a way that you end up destroying the thing just to get at the part you want. You say you've done it before, would you have a look at it if I sent it to you ? I wouldn't expect you to do it for nothing of course. If no, I can post up photos what I find inside to get and get some help that way.
It was a few years ago, the car alarm was a known issue so the info was online, the bite alarm was noticeable as soon as opening , haven't used a soldering iron since.

Sponsored Links
Back